Two-tone leather wallets and more!

Been diving into making wallets from leather. After about 6 or 7 wallets I feel like I’m really getting a feel for how to skive and burnishing the edges. It would certainly help if things didn’t take weeks to arrive from Amazon and for me to be using a knife designed to skive rather than using a razor blade like I’ve been doing, but we use what we can while we can!

Anyway, made myself a wallet from three pieces, all cut, including stitch holes, on the GF. All of my leather is natural without any prior dye, so after cutting, I skive my edges, sand some to even it out, then dye it using Eco Flo water stain or Fiebing’s. Let the dye dry for a few hours, apply a finish, and buff. Apply a second layer of finish, which is a personal choice, then dab glue where they connect, stitch them, finish and burnishing the edges. Here’s my wallet:

I was really surprised at how “professional” it looks, and I find myself pulling it out just to stare at it throughout the day :sweat_smile: After feeling comfortable with that style of wallet, decided to do a flap style, which admittedly does need some small adjustments, but this is all practice for now before taking it to the big time!

My wife began to get jealous of me making “myself” all of these wallets (not pictured are the other handful of tests, one of which I really liked…okay, I’ll take a picture of it, and was my first “good” run)

There was also this one, which has no stain or dye applied, just a finish directly to the leather. I really liked it, as well.

Alright, so my wife was definitely jealous of these and requested I make one for her with a floral pattern. Funny enough, I had planned on doing a floral one anyway, so lucky her :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a bit hard to make out the pattern on the front, but it certainly stands out enough on the back. I also wanted to use a light purple thread, but only have brown and white. My white is a cotton based thread, so it was simple enough to take a sharpie to and then finish with some beeswax. Sanded the edge of this one and also used a purple sharpie to color the edge.

I’ve got more colors of dye and thread coming, I originally only bought a few things because I wasn’t sure if I’d be happy with working with leather, but I’m obsessed. I haven’t been this excited to use my laser in a while, and the laser is only a tool, really it’s the leather that’s just so fun to work with. Already have people wanting me to sell them wallets from the small posts I’ve done, so when I’m ready to go, they’ll be ready to take them :grin:

51 Likes

Those are getting better and better. Love how your logo looks on leather.

4 Likes

So cool!! Love all of them! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’m impressed! I would definitely buy something like this. If I did not have a GF that is.

3 Likes

Your stitching is PERFECT!!

3 Likes

Bravo! Lovely work. Skiving and skiving knife maintenance are such an art.

2 Likes

Leather is addictive; next you’ll be buying whole sides to feed your addiction. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Fantastic work! I am partial to the flap wallet. Feels like it has more utility. Wondering if there is a local Hawaiian product like Pineapple Leather or thread so you can avoid the amazon wait.

2 Likes

I’ve bought 5 double shoulders, so I’d say I’m full on addicted at this point :sweat_smile:

I used to crochet and braid bracelets a lot in high school, so this was like muscle memory kicking in. It took a couple of wallets to get the feel, but with this last wallet, it just felt so natural on how hard to pull. Thanks for the compliment, it’s flattering!

5 Likes

Yeah, I can’t wait for my knife to show up, should be here tomorrow, so I can actually get practice in on that instead of a loose razor blade! I can imagine that the torque and pressure with a whole handle and knife will get me easier results.

I have a bit of leather on hand with more on the way - friends back home sending me some, but some “pineapple leather” would be sweet :wink: I ordered a decent amount of supplies, thread, dyes, etc. so hopefully I’m able to hold out for several months of leather work before needing more. I’m the one who keeps track of our finances, so my wife is oblivious to the absurd amount of money I’ve spent on all of this stuff. But hey, it hasn’t hit GF levels of money, yet, so we’re still in the clear!

7 Likes

My wife always raises an eyebrow when the deliveries start rolling in! Can’t hide anything with everyone working from home! I just smile big and sneak back to the maker space.

7 Likes

I get the, “And what did you order now!?” The trick is letting her open them, but not letting her see the PO haha

5 Likes

A full handle definitely makes a difference! :smiley:
A few years ago I had the privilege of taking a workshop with Lisa Sorrel, master boot maker famous for her intricate leather inlays. Learned more about skiving in those few hours than a couple years of internet experimentation. In addition to the traditional skiving knives she had out a bunch of no. 5 Xacto blades in the chunky handle which she recommended as a cost effective beginner skiving knife (edges only of course). With any version sharpness is absolutely key - skive skive strop strop strop strop strop strop strop strop. (Except “safety skivers” which are utter garbage)

Also working on a heavy, smooth surface like a small marble or granite slab makes an enormous difference in skive ease & quality.

You’re going to have so much fun with your new knife! Looking forward to seeing what you make.

6 Likes

Those are really great…I love working with leather, too…I like the stuff I make with wood, but I guess the leather is more immersive, with dyeing and stitching, and I really love that. You are making gorgeous things!

3 Likes

Those are all great pieces! Looking forward to your next leather adventures.

4 Likes

Beautiful work, and I understand this sentiment.

The joy of making things.

3 Likes

This is what it is - more hands-on. With my wood projects, the laser is doing the majority of the heavy lifting, but with leather, it’s only doing the very basic stuff (though, that scored floral pattern was way out of my scope, so it did great work there).

Gosh, they are all so nicely finished. The dyeing is what trips me up; I have to really work to avoid blotchiness. Really like the stitching too.

3 Likes

I’ve found that oversaturating the piece with a high density sponge works well, but not every time, which I think has to do with the leather itself. Seems like some pieces are “bruised” or something akin to that, but I’ve also found that working and stretching the leather after finishing it can give a nice marbled type look, rather than the splotchy look. And thank you also for the kind words!

2 Likes

I get that…me, too. What you’ve made so far look really good. Nice stitching. I got sidetracked from leather for a while, but hope to get back to it again soon.

2 Likes