Ultimate All-in-One Glowforge Workstation Storage Cabinet

I’ve never vacuumed the intake vent in over 5 years.

3 Likes

Ditto

1 Like

Depends on the environment that the GF is in, may or may not be necessary.

That looks fabulous. I’ll echo the desire to see it in situ!

A local resale shop has a printer’s cabinet with ~40 2" deep drawers and I keep drooling over the thought of having each type of material have it’s own slot rather than mixing them by thickness. I feel like this gives you the same options :heavy_heart_exclamation:

(similar one)

8 Likes

I keep trying to find something similar to that. I hope you snatch it up. It is gorgeous!

3 Likes

you might look for a blueprint cabinet.

big drawers(think wide and deep, yet shallow for the height), lots of them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It started at 1500, it’s down to 1250…but that’s still WAY too rich for my blood. We’ll see how low it goes before someone breaks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is where I store all my materials, a large flat file. I got it off Facebook marketplace for $100, a total steal. It’s just the best.

4 Likes

Perhaps someone close could buy it for you for your cake day :smile:
That would make it a very happy cake day as I am wishing it so.

1 Like

I would imagine they are going to become more scarce, given the pace of digitization of blueprints etc.

On the other hand, they’ll outlast us all — they’re built like tanks.

Just checking Craigslist in Atlanta shows 4 or 5 for sale as we speak… so they’re definitely out there on the used market. They’re also being sold new by several manufacturers.

Amazon carries some but man Safco isn’t cheap.

Safco Products 4998GRR Flat File for 48" W x 36" D Documents, 5-Drawer (Additional Options Sold Separately), Gray https://a.co/d/5fyYvDY

1 Like

2 grand!!!

omg, I am in the wrong business. holy smokes that is insane

They are becoming more accessible on the used market for this very reason - businesses are getting rid of them as their need to keep physical prints is dropping.

The prices are still high because they are popular with the crafting crowd which has exploded.

3 Likes

well that makes sense. those crafters are always causing trouble :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Greetings -

It’s personal preference, but i’m not a fan of the horizontal slots, for everything. I understand the appeal of laying materials flat. But I feel it will reduce your flexibility in being able to organize all the different kinds and colors of materials. Some things won’t ‘stand on edge’ like sheets of rubber stamp material, felt, leather and the like. So probably a combination of flat and upright slots might be best, depending on what materials a person plans to use the most.

For example, I have a fair number of 12x20 (rigid) sheets of materials on hand - about 40 acrylic, 30 PG wood, 20 cheap plywood, and 50 cardboard. Plus all the larger cut pieces, and usable scraps. I like having 3-4 of each color acrylic, and species of wood, for variety. Storing them upright, in file dividers, I find to be super easy, and flexible, to organize.

And then there’s the ‘flat’ stuff. I use a fair amount of felt, so I like to have them separated into two tubs, the bigger 12x18 pieces in one and the small 9”x12” (in side by side stacks) in another. Fyi, these Sterlite 37qt. units are the perfect size for both store-bought standard sizes. I think having a full depth shelf would waste a huge amount of space storing the smaller 9x12 items and small cut offs of sheet goods. But again, just depends on what you plan to use the most.

I like that you have two shallow drawers. My GF is on a Home Despot Husky adjustable height workbench. It has two, really wide, shallow drawers and they are fairly handy for tools. However, the top is 52" wide, so I really only have a utility space on one side of the GF. I do wish it were 62", so I could have another ‘staging’ space on the other side. 12" really isn’t enough width to work on anything, but it is big enough to stage some materials and tools.

As for the oversize shelf on the bottom. I guess if you have a GF Pro that would be quite handy. All my oversize material is in the garage, as it needs to be cut down before use, and that’s where my power tools are. As running a table saw inside my house would not be my first choice. :-).

On the slide out shelf. I don’t know that it would be that helpful. Mabey if it were only 12" deep it would be ok. But any deeper and you’ll really have to bend over and reach to get anything in and out of the GF. My drawer comes out 14" and that’s ok, but I would still never leave it out while getting items in and out of the GF. So if anything, mabey drop the shelf down a little, so there is a couple inch gap above it. So if you have some materials on the shelf, you can still slide it in, while moving stuff in and out of the GF. Just a thought.

The only things I would add might be a ‘cleaning station’ on one side. So a paper towel holder, a hook to hold a bottle of windex, plus a ‘cup holder’ sized to fit a bottle of rubbing alcohol. You could even hang a Dustbuster on the side for vacuuming out the crumb tray and all the inevitable ‘bits’ that fall on the floor in front of the machine. :slight_smile: I’ll be working on such a caddy for the side of my table at some point.

So that would be my feedback and ideas. YMMV of course, based on the type of materials you use. Would enjoy seeing what you come up with, and your experience using it.

HL

2 Likes

ya I like the idea of those two drawers. the adjustable height table I got from Menards years ago, no such luck on the drawers.

If you live in an area with wide fluxuations in humidity, wood can get quite the bow in it if it’s stored on its edge…so flat vs vertical storage is a YMMV situation :slight_smile:

As far as extra space on the edge of your :glowforge: might I suggest…

I should totally get clear boxes for my flexible stuff…currently it moves around, mostly of its own accord!

I REALLY need some kind of organization. I have the same “stack” I’ve had for 4 years - stacking sheets on their short side so I can flip through looking for a piece that might have space for a new cut.

Of course I need a TON of organization in my real life too. You should see my shop…

3 Likes

You can use some of the materials to create smaller shelves. 18x18 sheets can be cut one side at a time or 18x24 if you have a pro, and then you can have a different shelf for each type. :slightly_smiling_face:

For my smaller stuff I have a stack of smaller Sterilite boxes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.