Glowforge mounted side table(s)

A few years back @johnj posted these cool side tables they made for their :glowforge:, and I thought - now that’s something I can use in my small space, and I do love #practical-cuts!

Months, years, eons <jk> passed and they came up again in conversation on the most useful thread on this forum (521 :heart:s and counting!) and this time I decided to make it go for my set up.

They’re quite different from @johnj’s mostly because I don’t have the room they have, and I wanted a significantly wider addition since it can only go on one side.
This won’t hold up serious weight made of cardboard, but plenty to hold typical supplies, and they require either a heavy thing or double-sided tape to stay attached (hence my pile-o-tape staying where it is) but here you go:

Glowforge Side Shelf

1. designed for 1/4" (the slots are .210")
  2. curved piece goes on the :glowforge: (with the cutout for the button, over the button)
  3. larger piece gets glued (along the score lines) to the curved piece (you’ll be flipping it over)
  4. the 3 legs get glued in with the almost vertical edge closest to to curved part (yes they’re reversable, ask me how I know :roll_eyes:)

My table is only a few inches wider than my :glowforge:, and doesn’t extend all the way to the back, hence the inset 3rd leg. You likely won’t need that so I’m pointing it out!
If you want to make it for the other side it should be completely reversible, just don’t cut out the hole for the button.
I’ll likely make the supports prettier (decorative curves or something) before I cut this out of wood, and possibly cut a piece to make the two parts even, but it’s a start and I thought I’d share it in case anyone else out there wanted to make themselves more room on the top of their :glowforge: !

Enjoy!

33 Likes

Had not thought about the right side of my GF .Might have to add on

16 Likes

You totally have wasted space there!

5 Likes

Thanks for the share of this useful, practical file.

4 Likes

Really like your storage solution.

3 Likes

I really like the setup but how do you use the passthrough? I have enough room to cut up to 36" but would have to redesign the room to get more distance.

2 Likes

Am looking at a rolling table from [Home of the Pot] and will put support for shelves.

2 Likes

Hey, cool design, thanks! But if I put one there I would not be able to reach the washer to do the laundry (tight space). :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Anything a person can do for more storage is a good thing! My table is the exact size as the Glowforge, so nothing to prop on.

3 Likes

Great! I need a place to sit things -I keep losing them.

3 Likes

I like this but I don’t see the legs to the table?

1 Like

Once you right click and save-as they’ll be there - they are off the art board because it’s large enough that it’ll take multiple runs to cut it all out.

1 Like

Nice! I love items, tools, etc-- that are specifically for GF! You can actually replace “love” with “am overly obsessed”, and be even more accurate! :rofl::rofl: BUT…Can I be nosey? Just for a second? What do you use the baby wipes for? and I am also dying to know what is in the Tupperware!!! :rofl::rofl:. Random, I know. But I I see things like that I think to myself that it could possibly be something that I am m missing out on as far as things that make GF life much easier. I may just be crazy. Probably crazy. But… whatever. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Something to clean the Glowforge baby’s dirty areas would be my guess. You still want Zeiss wipes for the cameras, and lenses that the beam travels through, but places like the lid etc., would clean nicely with the baby wipes
:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

The baby wipes are used to wipe down the edges of wood pieces when they come out of the forge - it does a fabulous job getting the loose soot off - plus, as @rbtdanforth guessed, I also use them to clean the non-electrical parts of the :glowforge:; tray, floor, belts, etc.

The tupperware is filled with salt - all my leather pieces go in there straight out of cutting - it removes the loose soot and the harshest of the burnt leather smell. You put pieces in, and then shake it like a tambourine for a few minutes :smiley:

I love looking at photos of folks’ workspaces because you do see things that sometimes turn into your essential tools!

4 Likes

Update . Have gotten new shelf to store acrylic and wood with other junk

7 Likes

Love the tables!

While it takes up more room, I try to store everything flat. Otherwise it is more likely to get warped. My space is very limited. lol Always a challenge.

3 Likes