Uncertified Birch Plywood

Please delete if not allowed. I am just curious if anyone has been able to find 1/4 inch birch plywood that cuts nicely with the Glowforge? I have tried several different kinds but can’t seem to find one that cuts nicely every time.

Thank you!

First of all, totally allowed! Ask away, and also keep in mind that you are probably not the first to ask almost any question, especially about birch ply. A quick search is always a good first step, but it can be hard to get the terms exactly right, and the forum isn’t very good at interpreting what you ask… you kind of have to get it just right, no typos, etc.

Anyway, this recent thread will be of interest to you:

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

You might want to try Ocooch Hardwoods. They have Baltic Birch plywood that they claim is perfect for laser cutting and engraving. They have 1/4" thick 12x12 sheets on sale right now if you want to check them out.

https://ocoochhardwoods.com/plywood/baltic-birch-plywood/

3 Likes

@daweritz87 I have used their BB and it work wonderfully.

2 Likes

I use 1/4th Baltic birch from Lowes, generally cuts best at 160 speed for lots of straight lines and 150-155 depending on tight corners ect. Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk about it further

4 Likes

Moving to Beyond the Manual, since non-PG settings are mentioned and we don’t want to get the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyers (FNLs) all riled up. :wink:

2 Likes

Do you have a Lowes product code for that? I wasn’t aware that any Lowes sold Baltic Birch and it would be nice if they do I could order it online and have it delivered to mine. Just need the SKU.

TIA

2 Likes

Baltic birch is usable but won’t meet your requirement of “cuts nicely every time”. It will have occasional glue pockets or other defects in inner plies that your laser will not cut through.

You can put yourself on the “email me when in stock” list for this MDF-core white birch plywood. That’ll cut consistently every time.

Maple has a similar color to birch and is much easier to find than birch with an MDF core IME.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.