Underwater themed pepakura masks

A close friend completed his dive masters just in time for halloween, so we naturally threw an underwater themed party for him, complete with fish and Cthulhu octopus pepakura masks.

IMG_4461%20copy

All the designs I purchased from Wintercroft on Etsy, and it just took some editing to remove the extra bits from the PDFs to make everything Glowforge compatible:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/565625183/cthulhu-kraken-esque-with-his-octopus?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wintercroft&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&organic_search_click=1

(I had good experiences with Wintercroft masks before)

I used some very thick white cardstock as the material. Glad for saved settings, since it came in really handy to develop score for mountain folds and a valley fold ā€˜scoreā€™ (which was a 5 point thin engrave along the fold that helped reduce the amount of material squishing together and make space for the fold).

IMG_4421%20copy

The Cthulhu mask was definitely by far the most complicated, but lots of patience and wood glue and rubber bands later it started to come together.

IMG_4444%20copy

IMG_4450%20copy

This spray paint took to the cardstock beautifully, and my ever industrious boyfriend painted all the masks with a deep sea paint scheme.

IMG_4464%20copy

IMG_4466%20copy

IMG_4467%20copy

IMG_4473

52 Likes

Ooh! That octopus is sweet!

3 Likes

Nice work! Thanks for sharing that! The Cthulhu is definitely my favorite. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow, those are great.

2 Likes

SO GREAT! The amazing paint jobs really makes them pop.

2 Likes

Wow! Those masks are fantastic. The octopus reminds me of a Cthulhu. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The mask are just great and the paint job takes them over the top.

2 Likes

Dangit, Iā€™ve been trying to resist that fish mask for WEEKS now, and you go and make it even more irresistible. I want them ALL, really, but have no idea what Iā€™d do with them once they were made!

5 Likes

Fantastic! Love the paint job ā€¦ And the dedication to get them assembled!

2 Likes

Sorry for a newbie question here, but could you elaborate a bit on the ā€œedited to make Glowforge compatibleā€ part? Are you pushing edited PDF pages to GF directly or another format? Thank you for any info. really want to try this.

1 Like

I opened the PDFs in Illustrator and removed a couple duplicate lines, and all the mask shapes. Probably I could have uploaded them directly but they all had a page size outline that would make arranging the peices hard and a lot of text and arrows and whatnot that I didnā€™t want.

2 Likes

Great. Thank you for the reply. Going to give it a go :slight_smile:

Tried a simple one here. Not exactly an aesthetic choice, but it was simple enough to play with the process. Worked great. Thanks again. Will be ready for Halloween this year :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Looks great! Canā€™t wait to see what Halloween brings :smile:

Finally finished this one.

12 Likes

Love it!