Underwater themed pepakura masks

A close friend completed his dive masters just in time for halloween, so we naturally threw an underwater themed party for him, complete with fish and Cthulhu octopus pepakura masks.

IMG_4461%20copy

All the designs I purchased from Wintercroft on Etsy, and it just took some editing to remove the extra bits from the PDFs to make everything Glowforge compatible:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/565625183/cthulhu-kraken-esque-with-his-octopus?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=wintercroft&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&organic_search_click=1

(I had good experiences with Wintercroft masks before)

I used some very thick white cardstock as the material. Glad for saved settings, since it came in really handy to develop score for mountain folds and a valley fold ‘score’ (which was a 5 point thin engrave along the fold that helped reduce the amount of material squishing together and make space for the fold).

IMG_4421%20copy

The Cthulhu mask was definitely by far the most complicated, but lots of patience and wood glue and rubber bands later it started to come together.

IMG_4444%20copy

IMG_4450%20copy

This spray paint took to the cardstock beautifully, and my ever industrious boyfriend painted all the masks with a deep sea paint scheme.

IMG_4464%20copy

IMG_4466%20copy

IMG_4467%20copy

IMG_4473

52 Likes

Ooh! That octopus is sweet!

3 Likes

Nice work! Thanks for sharing that! The Cthulhu is definitely my favorite. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Wow, those are great.

2 Likes

SO GREAT! The amazing paint jobs really makes them pop.

2 Likes

Wow! Those masks are fantastic. The octopus reminds me of a Cthulhu. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The mask are just great and the paint job takes them over the top.

2 Likes

Dangit, I’ve been trying to resist that fish mask for WEEKS now, and you go and make it even more irresistible. I want them ALL, really, but have no idea what I’d do with them once they were made!

5 Likes

Fantastic! Love the paint job … And the dedication to get them assembled!

2 Likes

Sorry for a newbie question here, but could you elaborate a bit on the “edited to make Glowforge compatible” part? Are you pushing edited PDF pages to GF directly or another format? Thank you for any info. really want to try this.

1 Like

I opened the PDFs in Illustrator and removed a couple duplicate lines, and all the mask shapes. Probably I could have uploaded them directly but they all had a page size outline that would make arranging the peices hard and a lot of text and arrows and whatnot that I didn’t want.

2 Likes

Great. Thank you for the reply. Going to give it a go :slight_smile:

Tried a simple one here. Not exactly an aesthetic choice, but it was simple enough to play with the process. Worked great. Thanks again. Will be ready for Halloween this year :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Looks great! Can’t wait to see what Halloween brings :smile:

Finally finished this one.

12 Likes

Love it!