Unwanted Set Focus and Incorrect Alignment

I’m trying to engrave on coasters with a material height of .19. I did these exact same coasters yesterday with the exact same settings and now for some reason my glowforge doesn’t want to do this job anymore. It’s automatically using the set focus, even when I put in my own focal height. I’ve turned my GF off and back on again, refreshed the page multiple times and even cleaned all of my cameras hoping it would help but nothing has worked so far. I’ve also tried to just go with the flow and use the set focus, but when I do that my image is about an inch too low and to the right. Has anyone else had this happen? Did you find a solution?

Have you tried running the camera calibration? It might stop the issue and will increase the accuracy of the bed image to reality.

Camera calibration.

4 Likes

Geez Louise… I was so bummed out it wasn’t working I didn’t even think about that!

Trying now - thanks!

2 Likes

It worked!! I got a rush job and have to have 150 coasters done for a wedding this weekend. You’re a lifesaver!

Edit: It worked for one set, and now we’re back to square one.

2 Likes

hmm, could you put some painters tape ontop of one of the coasters? and use the set focus feature on that one? maybe its something to do with the finish on the coasters messing with the height sensor.

1 Like

If you want to override the actual autofocus, you need the focal height field to be a different value than the material height. So, material height of .190” (for accurate camera display), and then focal height of say .189”. That shows the system you are intentionally overriding autofocus. I can see why they do it that way, I don’t know if it’s the best solution because of the confusion, but the .001” change in focus won’t make a difference in the job.

It will still scan (or it used to) but it won’t use the scanned value. I believe that’s just for the logs at that point.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble while setting up your prints. It’s great to see you’ve already received some advice from our other community members. Thanks folks!

I extracted the logs from your recent prints, and saw that they appear to be running using the autofocus feature. When printing on smaller objects, or on sheets of material which have holes in them, when autofocus runs the red dot used to measure material height might miss the material. This can lead to issues with print alignment.

The Set Focus target is a separate feature which allows you to select an area to take a precision measurement of the material’s height using the red dot in the printer head. As a next step. try using Set Focus and place the focus area on the material, so it’s not near an edge. Then watch to make sure the red dot hits the material.

Please let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.

1 Like