Update to the update: We'll sell replacement tubes (discussion)

Ah man, I had the same idea! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have one of those. Back in the day its ability to do integrals and derivatives and stuff was impressive, as was its geometry app. It was a lot of fun to show off. I never used it half as much as the HP 48G, though. Mostly because I’d been using the 48 daily for a year or two by then. And probably also because it didn’t fit in my pocket, so I didn’t have it on me all the time. (I used the 48G as my watch and alarm clock.)

1 Like

So what’s the problem? The first article seems to be pushing that technology has surpassed the calculator industry, and that smart phones are far more capable than these calculators. This is true. They then state that TI should lower their prices to reflect this. The second article is geared towards statistics students, so not relevant for everyone, but pushes something called “R”. I assume that is a piece of software that does statistics calculations. The author, by the looks of his other articles, programs for R, and is therefore biased to push for it’s use. He also mentions Casio as a cheaper, but better option to TI. Neither article seems to mention HP, which when I was in school, was the ONLY other viable option to the TI.

So one pushes for the use of app-enabled smart phones and the other for a piece of software.

Here’s the problem with that. Smart phones and computers aren’t allowed in tests. To take the SAT you need a calculator, and a graphing calculator is recommended. Therefore every student should acquire a graphing calculator.

Doing some quick Amazon comparison shopping, one graphing calculator seems pretty much equivalent to the next. All are very similar in both stats and cost, with Casio being the most expensive at $150. The HP is $114, and the TI Nspire is $130. This is for the color graphing calculator for each company.

Knowing that we are required to get a graphing calculator to be able to take tests, and that all graphing calculators are created equally (approximately), the issue then comes down to business practices. TI donates to schools to get their product recommended. My guess is that Casio and HP are also both heavily invested in salespeople to do exactly the same thing. Maybe TI has better school pricing, and are therefore more successful, and are therefore more able to donate? I don’t know, but I wouldn’t assume that they are the only ones pushing that particular agenda. And it isn’t like this is a big company pushing out the mom & pop companies. TI, HP and Casio are all HUGE companies. Also, pushing forward to the college level, I don’t know about you, but all of my computer labs were branded and all of the computers inside were of that brand. I had to learn CAD in the “Bentley Lab” on Bentley Microstation when AutoCAD is used by 95% of the consulting world.

As for schools requiring a specific calculator… if I recall correctly, the TI was recommended when I was in high school. I can’t say that it was required, because I’m pretty sure one of the students in my class had an HP - he was on his own as to the functionality because the class was taught based on the TI interface, but he made due. On top of that, it was a higher-level class, so it isn’t like they require every student in the school to buy an expensive calculator. As for the kids that can’t afford it… there are options now that didn’t exist when I was in school. Just today a TI-89 sold on eBay for $28 in working condition.

Is there something that I am not considering that garners “hate” for TI?

2 Likes

In the mid nineties our school owned some TIs that they rented to kids that couldn’t afford/didn’t want to purchase. Class taught on TI interface. Pretty standard still

2 Likes

Since smartphones are so powerful, is there an app that lets you use your phone like a color graphing calculator? Spend $20 for the app instead of $100+ for a calculator. - Rich

You’ll need to keep the cardboard and foam box that it ships in - it’s very specialized (and expensive). It’s expensive, premium packaging to make it easy to unbox/re-box and make sure your Glowforge can survive the mail safely.

8 Likes

Not hate for Texas Instruments overall. Just the TI-series of calculators and how they are forced onto students.
I hate that I was forced to buy two different (specific) TI calculators for ridiculous prices, once in high-school and again in college. The textbooks and teaching plans in use required them. Not being a maths person, I found that what I was being taught was how to press a specific series of buttons, with very little or no explanation of what was the calculator was doing. I never used either calculator again. Granted this is specific to me: I have never had a math teacher that I liked. A math teacher was the only teacher to ever strike me.

R is a GNU project, is free, and runs on most platforms. It is also used by many companies, and knowing it would give any high-schooler a head start for a decent job. Tell your job interviewer that you know how to use a TI-89, and they will probably just shrug.

None of our computer labs were branded, in either high school or university, although one of the ones in high school was donated by Autodesk (I think). When I tried to look it up, all I saw was a grant from RJ Reynolds Nabisco… and I never once heard about that when I was student. There was certainly no Nabisco Lab.

3 Likes

I would say that you have a valid reason to dislike.

I never bought my TI; I rented it. I didn’t understand the principles, and that made it really hard for me to know whether I had put the equation in correctly. Late algebra and all of trig evaded me.

I don’t think I’m too stupid for math; but the problem is that math is taught by people that get it instinctively, and they don’t relate to me. Or you. Add a layer of abstraction by programming a calculator, and I was lost. Managed to get through a Bachelor’s degree without a single math class.

4 Likes

Is that a requirement for warranty service?

2 Likes

You will want to keep the box, warranty item or not.

It’s an odd size - the closest thing i can find on U-Line is the double wall 275 pound test box and it’s slightly too small - $13.75 per box, but you have to buy a minimum bundle of five. You would probably need to go up to a special order.

So it’s going to cost you at least $70 plus shipping (no idea how much that is for something that size - 47lb.) to try to replace the box.

You can cut the tape on the box and store it flat, then re-tape it when you need it for shipping, but it would be idiotic to not keep the box. And the special foam inserts that center the unit. Find a place for them in the attic, or do what I’ve done and leave it standing next to the dining table. (It’s a nice conversation piece - all the neighbors have asked, and then of course, they have to see the laser.) :smile: :wink:

8 Likes

I thought I saw @dan say the box can’t be broken down without sacrificing its integrity. Might go back to the warranty repair question. If I can break it down, no problem. Otherwise, I’ve only got 1440 sq ft of house, 1 wife, 3 kids, 2 cats, and 2 guinea pigs. I’ve no room for large empty boxes that serve no frequent purpose.

2 Likes

I’ve got tape that’s better than what comes on the box, unless they are planning to change what they use now. (And they might be planning to…I don’t know.) But don’t break down the foam - it is a stiff structured foam, and that would destroy the integrity.

So i guess you’d still have to find a place to store that…might as well keep it in the box.

Hmmmmn…attic?

3 Likes

Assuming there’s not some reason excessive heat would be an issue for it, that’s exactly what I plan to do.

3 Likes

Attic = Daughter’s bedroom. I’ll have to see what my options are when I get it. Mostly I want to know if it’s a requirement for warranty repair/replacement. That kind of makes the decision for me.

1 Like

If you weren’t into math, what class did you take in high school that required a graphing calculator? In my high school there was just one, linear algebra and you had to get permission to take it. I guess if you took a statistics class, they usually required the TI-83, though I recall that at the college level, not the high school level.

For me it was cool to have to get the expensive gadget. And again in junior college when I upgraded to the 89 so I could do symbolic differential equations (no other one on the market at the time would do them). My parents paid for them both times, so that aspect of it didn’t phase me I guess.

Still, if you aren’t a math person you aren’t going to care about a calculator, and you aren’t going to use higher functionality on them, except for test taking. As an engineer I used that calculator for all of junior college, all of college, every major test (except one which I had to get a scientific calculator for - couldn’t use a calculator that had “memory”), and a majority of the time in the professional world. Granted, I don’t use it’s higher functionality much these days, but its there if I need it.

If I told my interviewer that I knew “R” they would congratulate me on watching Sesame Street. I don’t think I’ve ever had a job where they would even know what it is. I had certainly never heard of it until today.

Did you go to a private college? I think state schools need more help in the outfitting of their labs… particularly technical state schools (Cal Poly Pomona).

I also get the feeling that we are different generations. I graduated high school in '95.

3 Likes

Single use light saber? :thinking:

3 Likes

Modern houses here don’t have attics or basements. I haven’t lived in a house that did since I was a child and lived in a Victorian era terrace house. Our house is about 25 years old and houses from that era have a loft in the roof space with a trapdoor for access that is too small for a Glowforge box. Some new houses nearby have bedrooms in the roof space because land is now at a premium, so they are on three floors.

Unless the box can collapse to go through a 22" hole I will bin it. I am not prepared to have it in my living space.

If my GF fails under warranty I expect GF to send me replacements parts and I will fix it myself. If they don’t I can probably fix most faults myself anyway. I don’t see how the ship back warranty and tube replacement is practical for most customers though. How many have storage space for something 46″ x 29″ x 16″ or are prepared to keep it in their living space for years?

1 Like

I’m with you on many of your issues. I was miffed having to buy multiple graphing TIs for multiple children. Seemed like a real racket to me. A simple four function Casio would have sufficed. Algebra and graphing should be taught by hand.

Didn’t buy another TI of my own after the TI-59 in the late '70s. It lasted me until I had a personal computer and could do advanced calculations easier in programs like Matlab than on a calculator. I’ve had a long string of $15 scientific calculators (usually Casio) since then. Now, it’s just my phone when I need a quick number crunch.

1 Like

Maybe it could be a coffee table with a little rework :grinning:

2 Likes

Ha! I love that you think we have room for a coffee table.

2 Likes