Urges

Give it time. A co-worker who has moved on to another company (chemistry degree) could hardly go a day without a, “before I started here that would have never…” Now she reads change notes on updates for her phone, understands the joys of a basic text editor like Notepad, understands the basic nerd references, kinda gets the basics of hardware and software, will copy and paste VBA code into Excel although she calls it VB…

In 2.5 years we couldn’t get her to start wearing jeans, or a t-shirt or a shoe without some sort of heel to work, however, so more work needed to be done.

1 Like

Yeah that or I was thinking the one from Twilight zone Nightmare at 20,000 Feet with William Shatner…totally dating myself with this…lmao

9 Likes

At my place of work if you call anyone honey you’ll get a sound talking to by HR.

Also I’m a dude and hate pickups. Try again. Use golden retrievers and I’ll get it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We now live in the land of Rainbows and Unicorns! After too many years in IT I finally determined it was usually a BDU error. After fixing the issue, whatever it was, I would nod and say it was probably a BDU error. A “oh, I thought was it” was the usual response

BDU - Brain Dead User

4 Likes

I’ve always called them ID 10 T errors.

5 Likes

If this was enforced at my place of business it would crush my soul as I ironically call my guy’s honey or sunshine all the time.

3 Likes

Hahahaha you get 1 million dollars for Goldies!!! They are so cute!

Thankfully my work isn’t as strict… As long as it’s not an offensive term. Although I guess some people can find Honey to be offensive? Then again… I think those may have bigger issues…

1 Like

Whenever anyone has a problem with getting a piece of technology to work, I ask them if they’ve tried kicking it in the face. Sometimes it gets a laugh. Sometimes I’m asked to point out where the face is. I assume in all cases that they just think I’m crazy, but especially when I point to the “face” of a computer.

2 Likes

Urges can be ignored, as you have seen.

One of my favorite best ‘urge’ rejections was to a person who needed a pole lamp light bulb exchanged.

It was a neighbor of my brother. I had brought a ladder and went to examine the light. Wiring looked ok but the bulb was burnt. I extracted the bulb, stored the ladder, and headed to my truck to buy a new one.

The owner came running out, so I stopped to explain I would be back soon with another bulb.
He wanted no part of that. He chided me for leaving the fixture bare to the air.
He stated in harsh terms that he was not paying for electricity leaking all over the place, while I was larking off to the store.

I remember staring at him for a bit as he carried on, trying to figure my best response. Finally, I gave a nod. Went and got the ladder, replaced the burnt lamp, stored the ladder and off to the store.
I just figured that was easier than giving a science lesson to someone bouncing around in circles.

The High Road is just easier to take at times.

11 Likes

Now that is impressive…you’d have had to scoop me up off the floor and probably give me oxygen. :smile:

4 Likes

Classic. Although I swear the creature looked like Bigfoot.

1 Like

That light bulb story reminds me of the Comcast tech who tried to tell me that my coaxial cable was too tight, and was therefore restricting the flow of the internet.

I took a second, waiting for the smirk or chuckle… but no, he was dead serious. I just let it go, because all I could think was “what…?”

6 Likes

That’s a great one.

My father owned a tire shop. Replaced four tires on a Navy Lieutenant’s brand new convertible. The LT drove off but returned 15 minutes later irate that the mechanic didn’t orient the logos correctly when replacing the hubcaps. My father simply instructed his helper to pull the hubcaps and rotate them so that all logos were upright. The Lieutenant left our shop with the usual superior attitude over us locals. My father looked at me and said, “boy, that’s why I’m always afraid if you get one more degree you won’t have sense enough to come in out of the rain”.

11 Likes

I have to confess that I align the logos and the valve stems on the car to the same position when rotating or swapping tires. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I live in WV. A lot of cars are on blocks so it doesn’t matter.

9 Likes

Can’t say anything, hubs polishes the danged hubcaps with a toothbrush…he probably aligns the whatever too. :smile:

1 Like

I am truly impressed. I mean I agree, sometimes the high road is just esaier but based on past experiance I could just see myself staring until ask what I was staring at and then replying “I’m just wandering if you are pulling my leg or are really this stupid”. Needless to say, I am not alowed around custumers or sensitive mangament. :wink:

4 Likes

I remember being made to watch that version before I was allowed to watch the one with John Lithgow. I was like 9 or 10 at the time…

1 Like

Y’all do realize that car tires don’t rotate the same amount on every turn?

7 Likes

It sounds like you would have lost that Lt. after “y’all”.

3 Likes