US Army Shadowbox

Hello Glowforge family!

Although I’ve made a lot of things since I received my Glowforge, I haven’t really made anything that I felt was really worth sharing. It’s been almost 7 years since I left the military after spending almost 7 in, and I thought I should finally make a shadowbox. Inspired by the WW II Medal Display Case that @DaveStruve made for his grandfather here, I made this for myself and thought I’d make it my first post!

The etching in the background says: B CO / 35TH ENG BN - FORT LEONARD WOOD, MO > 232 CO / 94 ENG BN - FORT LEONARD WOOD, MO / MOSUL, IQ > E CO / 1-30 INF REG / 2 BDE / 3 ID - FORT STEWART, GA / MOSUL, IQ > C CO / 2-3 BSTB / 2 BDE / 3 ID - FORT STEWART, GA; they are the units and the locations I served.

Top row (from left to right): Engineer Regimental Insignia, 94th Engineer Battalion Crest, Combat Action Badge (CAB), 2-3 Brigade Special Troops Battalion Crest, 1-30 Infantry Regiment Crest. Right side: the patches of the two units I deployed with (top to bottom): 555 Engineer Brigade & 3rd Infantry Division. Left side: my rank when I left the service (Staff Sergeant). Middle (from top to bottom): Army ribbons, Last Name, (from left to right): services stripes (one for every 3 years), and combat stripes (one for every 6 months deployed).

I hope it inspires someone else to get creative!

31 Likes

Looks great! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It looks fantastic. And THANK YOU for your service. :us:

2 Likes

Thanks @ovm.steve! Maybe I’ll see you out near party cove some time! Hahaha

1 Like

These days I’m just thrilled to get off the property. (Sneaking away to Hot Springs Arkansas for the weekend though (don’t tell anybody))

2 Likes

Your secret’s safe with me :+1:

What a stellar introduction! And welcome! I really like the way you did that background lettering. It’s subtle and elegant.

2 Likes

Nice to hear from you after all this time. The shadowbox is very well done.

3 Likes

That is AMAZING! Love it and thank you so much for your service.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! It took me a bit to figure out what to do in the background to keep it from looking boring or having too much going on, so I’m glad you like it!

Thanks so much @Jules, @dklgood, and @lyonsw!

1 Like

From this US Navy Vet, thank you for your service! Love seeing it!
My middle kiddo gets out of the Army next month. =(

2 Likes

Looks dope! I have a few ideas I will be putting out soon but this helps the inspiration as well, thanks for uploading

1 Like

Thanks for your service as well! Getting out is a difficult transition, but I’m sure with a Navy mom such as yourself, they will have a strong support system!

Glad you like it and hopefully it helps with some inspiration as well!

1 Like

This is really nice. Nice to pull all your memories together is such a fabulous manner.
Many thanks to all who have served!

3 Likes