**useless trivia***

True. I was reading through the material for a defensive driving class (“helping” my husband) and there was a section on sharrows. I didn’t know those things had official names.

1 Like

Also called a " * " (splat) :innocent:

To what does the term “sleeping policeman” refer?

Answer

5 Likes

Did not know any of that. Interesting.

Is that short for “share the road?”

1 Like

That’s a good one!

No, I think it was “share arrows,” and it’s only for roads that don’t have bike lanes.

1 Like

People have said “jesus H christ” but there has been speculation, that back then, children where named after the king of ‘The Galileans’ who’s name was “herod”

2 Likes

The Earliest political satirist was Gaius Lucilius who was making political comedy / commentary back in 102 BC

2 Likes

And my final entry for this evening… The HISTORY OF THE DOLLAR

Appromt (Somewhat archaic, 1913)

Daydreamt (Sort of cheating)

Undreamt (Also sort of cheating)

And a few other dreamt variants, adreamt, redreamt, etc.

So… sort of? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Speaking of which…

2 Likes

If you live in, or have travelled in the US, you have probably seen this guy’s design work, but you have probably never heard his name.

6 Likes

Thers’s a word for being thrown out of a window: defenestration.

And a word for having a nicely shaped rear: callipygous.

6 Likes

I wonder what the word is for throwing your computer out the window… I KNOW : HAPPINESS!!!

4 Likes

This gave me the best laugh for today :rofl: :joy:

Let me megatrivialize you - the root of the word is “omphalos”, an ancient Greek word meaning alternately “Navel” and “Center”. “Omphalos” was the name of a sacred stone in the Temple of Apollo at Delphi that was used to mark (what they thought was) the center of the earth. “Skepsis” is also an ancient Greek word, meaning “investigate” or “study intently”. So “Omphalos” + “Skepsis” = “Omphaloskepsis”, the study of your navel. It first entered in to use in the English vocabulary in 1925. So it’s not even a 100 year old word.

4 Likes

I only learned today that the @#!&$ used in place of expletives is called a grawlix, coined by the American cartoonist Mort Walker (1923-2018) and first known use in 1976.

11 Likes

NOW THAT is a really cool piece of Trivia!!

Aglet!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.