Using the glowforge software remotely

My Glowforge is at my home, and I am at work. Can I use the software to get something ready to print from a remote computer that is not connected to my Glowforge? If so, how? I would like to start getting familiar with the software and have time while I am at work.

1 Like

The short answer is yes and no. You can simply go to https://app.glowforge.com and play around, but if you open it up on another browser you’re basically starting a new session, so your settings won’t be there.

But I suggest that that’s not really something you’re likely to do. Thing is, you get things “ready to print” in your design application, not so much the Glowforge application. There really isn’t too much to set in the GFUI… just the specific settings for each “step.” Or you may need to slightly adjust the position of your artwork. But that’s about it. Basically, 99.9% of your actual work is done in your design application. It’s only in that final moment, when your’re actually ready to cut, that you’d use the GFUI.

I hope that makes sense! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes if you want to load designs, see how they render on the GFUI (helpful to see if you’ve got clipping paths or overlaid objects you don’t expect), set the operations and even see how long it will take (the latter will require the GF to be on though as you can’t hit Print if it’s offline). If it’s online and there’s material in there and there’s someone at home you can even print and then once it says it’s ready, ask whoever’s at home with the machine to push the button :slight_smile: You can even watch it as it goes and see when it finishes.

2 Likes

I don’t have my glowforge yet so not sure if it needs to be on same network or just online but if it needs to be on same WiFi network I pay yearly for an app called Splashtop, it lets you control your computer from your phone or another computer anywhere in the world. Only $16 a year, I think there are free apps that do this too but I like the reliability of splashtop use it almost everyday. This might be what your looking for, it would be like you are sitting at home on your computer.

Splashtop.com

1 Like

It just needs to be connected to the internet. The only communication is between your unit and the Glowforge servers.

TeamViewer is completely free for personal use. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, you can access the app and start to get familiar with it from work. We’ve also launched autosave, so you can save settings, too.

Thanks @Tom_A and @jamesdhatch!