Using the Glowforge with 3M double-sided adhesive

Hi, Everyone! I made a video about using the Glowforge with 3M double-sided adhesive. It’s a popular topic. I got a little carried away and purchased A LOT of tape for this video. ha! I tried using it on everything. It turns out that it can actually hold up the weight of a cinderblock.

I use 3M 467MP for most applications and 3M 300LSE for materials with rougher surfaces. Making signs using the Glowforge and this tape is huge part of my business. Enjoy!

46 Likes

Good test - I’d never thought about it being waterproof.

2 Likes

Great video! I’m impressed with all your testing and techniques.

2 Likes

Great video! I struggle with the proofgrade plywoods sticking together!

3 Likes

What an in depth coverage! Thanks for testing all of this and sharing!

3 Likes

Fantastic information! thanks for a brilliant, well constructed, succinct video - just how I need it!

3 Likes

Great video. I love your (not full of crap) style. Very enjoyable to watch. I subscribed and now I have to get a bunch of that tape.

5 Likes

They assemble everything from vehicles to household appliances using various 3M VHB products. What a world we live in!

2 Likes

Got me sold, I will definitely buy the 3M tape. I’m so tired of trying to glue everything with out any signs of glue or making sure everything is lined up.

3 Likes

I was actually a little surprised. Even though the tech sheet stated that it can work in harsher weather conditions, water, etc… I thought that after a week it might not hold up. I was going to use the 3M VHB (with the white wrapping, not the red) as a back up if I was able to pull it apart.

3 Likes

Absolutely! The video originally covered VHB stuff as well… but it started to get way too long. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info! I think this is what I have been looking for for the various veneer sheets I have!

3 Likes

Thanks! One of my next videos will show ways to make laserable “plywood” from mdf (or baltic birch) with veneers. I did a quick test on this video using tape… although, a more economical approach is still glue (since it doesn’t need to be clean). I’m trying each different processes now to see which process is the easiest and most reliable. Thanks for watching!

6 Likes

Just be warned, it’s not cheap. I think the sellers in the US for the one I use require a 4 roll minimum, and they are all along 180-210 per roll. I buy mine from aliexpress, but I still pay 150 a roll shipped I believe. Don’t get me wrong, it lasts forever and I use it for everything, but up front, it’s expensive.

4 Likes

Great video. I’ve never used the 3M tape before, but I am sure going to buy some now!

4 Likes

I have also purchased larger rolls and you are right. They are very expensive, but do go a long way. However, I’ve also purchased smaller 6" rolls from Amazon and they run about $18 for the 3M 367MP and $40 for the 3M 300LSE.

2 Likes

From Amazon, I’ve bought the 10" by 5 yards of 3M 300LSE. It cost almost 50 dollars, I still have it and I bought it a year and a half ago. But that’s because I bought the 55 yard roll of 12" 467MP and prefer using that (I’m on roll 2 now).

As far as more bang for the buck, the 55 yard roll cost 149 after tax, where the 5 yards cost me 50. I just wanted to warn the user about sticker shock-after I told people how much it costs, I swear they went into real shock.

But honestly, totally worth the price. It saves time and frustration, and makes assembly a lot cleaner and quicker. Only issue I have is that I’m not the best at alignment and sometimes I press too hard and notice afterwards my pieces don’t match up, taking it apart is almost impossible.

8 Likes

can you share your aliexpress link again? i thought i’d saved it but alas…

Sure, plus I think someone else shared it in the forums too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001332710802.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.68184c4dg2ZAGV

The shipping was super fast. It was less than 2 weeks from the time I ordered.

3 Likes

muchos gracias. even if i don’t order some (who am i kidding, i probably will), i will pass it on to the model shop folks at work.

1 Like