Valentine's Day Box 2022

On Saturday I was told that my daughter needed a Valentine’s Box for school on Monday. (I am sure she knew this before Saturday, but that is when she asked for help…)

So, inspired by @rmaker1952 's design:

I set out to make a treasure chest box! (And I have to say, I think Corrugated Cardboard may be my new favorite material to work with!)

The box dimensions are 8" wide and 6" deep. I didn’t measure the height.

The slot in the top seems to work for the entry point of the Valentines. The hole is roughly 1"x4" and worked well when tested.

I ended up grabbing 1/2" long 1/8" bolts to use as the axles for the hinges and they worked beautifully!

She covered it in stickers and took it to school. (I didn’t get a picture of it with the stickers.)

We will see how it holds up at school… She said she wants to use it as a jewelry box when she brings it back home. (If it survives.)

If it doesn’t survive, I should be able to make a smaller one made out of plywood. It would last longer.

Another fun idea would be to convert it into a bank and make a working lock!

52 Likes

Win!

6 Likes

Beautiful box nicely done thanks for sharing

6 Likes

Premium upcycle job there! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I told my wife, “We are not recycling any more cardboard! Well, we can recycle the scraps…”

I have created an area in storage of supplies dedicated for cardboard that I have cut down to size already.

9 Likes

Turned out beautiful!

7 Likes

Perfect!
Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

6 Likes

She’ll be the envy of all her classmates!

6 Likes

Fantastic idea!

Cardboard is awesome to work with. I love it! It will hold up great!!

Also, paintable!

2 Likes

Both of my sons asked it if was made of wood. They thought it looked more like wood than the draftboard did. (I had it sitting next to box made out of draftboard.)

4 Likes

Love it!

3 Likes

This is fantastic! What a lucky daughter.

3 Likes

Dad to the rescue! Nice save and something she will remember for a long time.

3 Likes

It takes a whole new meaning to having something in a cardboard box. I was thinking if you color printed a pattern on some paper it could make an amazing package.

3 Likes

Looks great as is in cardboard. I can only imagine in wood

2 Likes

What fun!

2 Likes

I love the simple look of it (knowing that it actually isn’t that simple of course). The edges of the corregation really gives it a great look! And since I’m reading this the day AFTER Valentine’s Day, what was her classmates’ reactions? And her teacher’s, I’m sure! Bet they were all wowed!

2 Likes

How did it hold up?

It’s super cute and I would love to see the final outcome with it all decorated and “the day after.” lol

3 Likes

It didn’t hold up as well as I had hoped. I think the braces for the lid were a little small and my daughter did not seem to be to careful with it.

But here are some photos of her sticker job (my wife thought she needed more supervision with the stickers!)

My daughter loved it, but was sad when the lid “broke”. I told her it wasn’t broken, it just didn’t work as well as it used to.

Next year it needs to be bigger!

6 Likes

Well you can remake the straps. Leather maybe? Then she can still use the chest and won’t lose all her stickers. Everything else seems to have held up well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes