Valentines Vase Holder & Flowers

Prepping for V-Day. This is project 2 of 3 for Valentines day. Glass vase is just a decanter from Amazon. Base is :proofgrade: walnut with red acrylic. Flowers are maple and walnut outlines with acrylic inlay. Fairy lights for effect. :heart:

69 Likes

You are killing it. You really should do some tutorials on your inlay techniques, I know I’d read them!

7 Likes

I’m honestly still figuring it out. I use the offset path tool in Illustrator and start with. .009 offset and cut a few small test pieces and adjust. I don’t always get it right the first time, and make small adjustments until it’s a tight fit. I aspire to be like @evansd2.

9 Likes

Take it from a guy who has posted some pretty poor but much-loved tutorials here, nothing helps you solidify a technique like doing it several times while trying to get it into words that can be understood by most.

I hope you will give it a shot both for us and yourself. Oh, and also try to make it as generic as possible so the ideas will work for AI, Inkscape, and Corel users! (Extra points!)

10 Likes

Oh so many beautiful inlays… Love the polyhedra photobombing as well.

5 Likes

This is really gorgeous! I love the inlaid hearts…and when it’s lit up…well, like I said…gorgeous.

5 Likes

Very nice indeed! You have definitely nailed the inlay technique. I really like how the light shines through your flowers and hearts.

4 Likes

Wow. Nice job !! What adhesive do you use for the acrylic inlay? Some seem to be messier than others (esp. on the acrylic)…

3 Likes

No adhesive required, just adjust kerf for pressure fit.

5 Likes

Very romantic!

3 Likes

Really nice work on both the design and construction!

4 Likes

Lovely! Gets one right into the Valentine’s day mood. I envy you the ability to do inlay - still working my way up to that. Love the fairy lights - great effect.

4 Likes

Most excellent! Very inspiring. My brain is storming on designing similar ‘bud vases.’ I’ve bought a bunch of ‘test tubes’ to experiment with. Gotta git on wivit!

5 Likes

Just beautiful!!!

1 Like

I want to do this. And no glue? Pleeeease give us a little tutorial. Pleeeease. Want to do jewelry and I have trying to work with veneers. Anything would be great and we could collectively share our results

I have a glowforge Basic And I’ve tried on the photo shop and ink scape but everything I drag over is obviously different speeds and different images, exactly how do I get these so I can cut and score them? The glowforge always says it can’t cut bitmaps… It will cut there projects though… it shouldn’t be this hard I thought when I bought it! Your help would rock Thanks Jess

Do this: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/welcome-to-the-glowforge-app-and-your-first-prints

It will leave you MUCH more prepared to begin accomplishing the many things you can do with your Glowforge.

4 Likes

There’s a whole section of tips and tutorials here, and we already collectively share our work here. :slight_smile:
Spend some time exploring the forums – there is already SO much here to learn from, and if you get stuck, lots of helpful people to jump in and help you get past the sticking point.

4 Likes

Instructable created here.

5 Likes

Here ya go!

3 Likes