Vehicle Scent Sticks for Essential Oils- -Makes Scents

I started this thread over in the Made on a Glowforge area, but I wanted to be sure and share the file. I hope this is okay. I am new here, so I don’t want to break any of the rules or customs here. Such a nice group of people. :slight_smile: Anyway, here is the file. Please let me know if I have done this incorrectly and you can’t get the file. And…please let me know if you happen to print these, and let me know what you think. :slight_smile:

For me it isn’t an overwhelming scent, so I like these a little better than the standard vehicle scents. I might be biased though since I made these. :wink:
Dave

Vehicle Scent Stick

61 Likes

Is this for the smell of wood for your car or are you using any oils on it to hold smell?

2 Likes

The title mentions essential oils. I wonder how long the oil scent lasts? Because car air fresheners never seem to last longer than a couple days in my car…they don’t seem to like working with the A/C blowing.

3 Likes

I added an essential oil to it. If you use MDF or the proof grade draftboard, it absorbs the oils pretty well. They seemed to last a pretty good time for me. Once they dry out a bit, they can be refreshed as well. Just refreshed mine after a month. It works okay for me, might not be right for everyone I realize. I was just glad a figured out something that lasts longer than the usual car fresheners for me.

10 Likes

I agree, the regular car fresheners never seemed to last for me. These don’t make it overwhelming for me, and they seemed to last a pretty good time for me.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try it, thanks for the file share. I have some oils that came with a diffuser my husband bought me a few years ago…uh…I’ve almost never used it, so I have plenty of oil, don’t know if they are essential or not, but I can try those… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I have wondered about cutting these out of aromatic cedar how that would smell in a vehicle. Love the smell of cedar!

4 Likes

I’ve been looking at cedar, but I haven’t found a good place to buy from. The single piece I bought a couple years ago was pre-sealed and didn’t give off a scent. But I recently took a trip to my lumber yard and noticed they had 1/4" cedar sheets for sale- they were all sold out.

1 Like

Woodcraft and Rockler sell 1/4" cedar sheets. Home depot (here) has it by the foot - it’s often used for paneling in closets.

3 Likes

My home depot is…not great. I’ve been to woodcraft before, but it’s a far drive and the prices are not so great. I think the 1/4" thick cedar was 4x8 feet and 45-ish dollars at my lumber yard, but I was just reading the price tags, they were out of stock. They started selling 1/8" maple though, it’s a 4’x8’ sheet and it’s the same price as the 5’x5’ sheet of baltic birch. But, it doesn’t smell as nice as cedar, I was just getting off topic :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for the share, clever solution!

3 Likes

Thank you for this. Going to give it a try!

They also sell cedar planks in grocery stores, typically used for grilling salmon. Places like Homegoods and Tuesday Morning have them at times as well.

6 Likes

I’m wondering how it would take to my beard oil (essential oil is it’s main base)

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about those. How well do they cut?

No idea, I’ve never used them (although I have a stack that I use for salmon)…

The little cedar I have used cut like butter, but I bought it at either THD or Rockler.

1 Like

what a great idea:)

1 Like

Wow!! Thanks for the overwhelming response! I am definitely on the look for some cedar now. I see they sell cedar planks for closets on Amazon, and they aren’t terribly expensive. Beard oil…hmm. I wonder now what else you could consider. Please share if you have a go at these.

2 Likes

I always love the smell of the cinnamon pinecones at Christmas too. I think oils will hold up better, anything that is alcohol based certainly won’t like aftershave. I feel I must do a study. Haha!! At least my vehicle will always smell nice during my study. Beard oil might be a real good option too. such possibilities. :slight_smile:

I saw a suggestion on Youtube for Smokey Hill Designs for supplies. Seems like they have good prices, but out of 1/4" cedar currently.

1 Like