Vent location, vertically-speaking

Does anybody know if there’s any issues with the hose coming out of the forge going “up” before it goes out? I’m getting ready to cut my hole and I was thinking I don’t it down where my equipment rolls because it would always be in the way. And then likewise, I want my vent on the outside to be in a place I’m not going to hit with my leg when I walk around the shop. I was thinking higher is better for getting rid of smoke, though. I’m using an inline booster if that matters.

Thanks,

My exhaust goes up and out through the roof about 14’-16’ above the gf. I have an assist fan at the end, along with a water/debris cleanout trap (inverted y-junction with a plug on the down-leg)

4 Likes

Mine goes right into an elbow that sends it up about 4ft to where it exits through a basement window I’ve replaced with an exhaust board.

3 Likes

I was thinking about a trap, also. Just to minimize anything going outside. I’m planning on using a 45-degree Y connector to also put a vent inside of my shapeoko enclosure, along with an inline damper to control each.

Thanks, that’s about what I was thinking.

Mine goes right into an elbow that sends it up about 4ft to where it exits through a basement window I’ve replaced with an exhaust board.

Me too (though I used a sheet of 1/4" lexan backed up by some 2" thick insulating foam with expanding foam sealant squirted in around all the gaps).

The airflow doesn’t care. Any more than the ducting in a HVAC system cares.

Me three. I replaced one of my basement windows with a 3-layer acrylic panel that includes a vent for the exhaust. I have an assist fan at the window that I had to get creative in mounting from the first floor joists above. I posted a picture here of the vent.

1 Like

My shop is in the basement so it has to go up. But it’s caused no issues. I also have a booster fan, so you should be fine.

IBID. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.