Ventilation for the GF

Just remember…humidity is NOT good for the laser

1 Like

Uhoh.

I was thinking a blast gate at the beginning of the series (one for each) which would isolate the 2 from one another. Possible?

2 Likes

That would be best if thats your only option. Only open it when running the laser so you have outflow pressure in the hose

3 Likes

Blast gates, also maybe some kind of flap/check valve if you can find something that would operate at low pressure without messing up flow?

It might be spensive, but if you went for electrically operated gates, each one might be open only when its machine was turned on. (but also remember if you have longish runs you will need a booster fan for the gf.)

1 Like

I bet we could design and create a 4" check valve that would prevent backflow using the Forge. Combine some off-the-shelf 4" fittings with a flap and silicone seal. May need to be counterbalanced to work right with low velocity air flow. Just thinking out loud…

3 Likes

I saw these magenetic dryer connectors the other day and couldn’t think of a good use for them… Now I can.

8 Likes

Nice find.
I feel some DIY coming on…
Wonder what tools I have that will cut nice round holes in things?

2 Likes

My dryer is almost exactly their “B” sample case, except no access at all from the sides (and barely any from above). I dread pulling that thing out. Even without swapping the glowforge connection I see that as an awesome product to have :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would personally do a dedicated line, but if you really need to do a splitter you can put in a damper that would close off one or the other:

I’d be more afraid of forgetting to open the dryer side than forgetting to open the Glowforge side. A blocked dryer vent could conceivably lead to a house fire. I think modern dryers check to make sure the vent isn’t blocked, but I wouldn’t count on them, personally.

3 Likes

A blocked gf vent might not be so great either. You’d ultimately be venting that volume of combustion(ish) products into your house. But you might notice earlier.

2 Likes

That’s where you use your GF to make huge signs to remind you

8 Likes

Huge Signs for Huge Sins

3 Likes

Heheh

I’ll just link to this, so you don’t have to…

3 Likes

Ooh, that reminds me: good opportunity to make that “Clean the Cat Box” timer.

2 Likes

I bet we could crowd source the design of a Y vent fitting with a movable vane that automatically blocks the line not in use.
Then as long as you are not running the GF and the dryer at the same time it should be safe.

I would still be a bit concerned about combustion products from a gas dryer leaking back into the GF, but an electric dryer should be OK.

2 Likes

Great idea. Pressure from the device in use positions the vane.

2 Likes

I was thinking of an arduino controlling a servo that switches the damper when the GF exhaust fan kicks on. you could do non-contact voltage sensing for the power going to the GF blower motor that would be a low voltage signal for the arduino to pick up and activate the servo to change the damper. should be about $35 and a Saturday.

4 Likes

That looks like a perfect solution for our dryer - thanks for the link!