Vintage Divers Helmet - EVA Foam!

I love, love, love that I can use my GF to make costume pieces. I used a pattern from Lost Wax (DIY Deep Sea Diver Costume Helmet. Making a Vintage Diving Helmet! — Lost Wax). This is the same designer that made the pattern for the Steampunk Mechanical Arm that I made. I was able to cut all but a handful of pieces using my Glowforge. A few were too big for the bed size.

This was made using an antifatigue mat from a hardware store - 8mm thick EVA foam. The helmet was sprayed with two coats of PlastiDip and then painted using acrylics and Rub N Buff.

106 Likes

Excellent result. The paint job really makes it look authentic.

10 Likes

Thank you! My favourite part of costume/prop making is the weathering. It’s so satisfying.

6 Likes

VERY cool! The other Jules (Verne) would be proud too! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

This is so cool! I love it.

6 Likes

This is outstanding.

6 Likes

Thanks. I was definitely trying to channel my inner Jules with this one!

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

SO COOL! I don’t even know why but I want this and I want to go to a Halloween party. I haven’t dressed up for Halloween in 30 years.

EDIT:
Oooo… Or maybe to the Ren Faire on Steam Punk weekend!

EDIT AGAIN: Ren Faire steam punk with my wife dressed as an Octopus! ( have to get back to work)

14 Likes

Yes! You should do it. I put the link to Lost Wax in my description. He does videos to show you how to construct and finish all the patterns as well. He mainly does steampunk stuff but he recently released a suit of armor pattern for EVA foam!

I actually bought a beekeeper suit from Amazon to act as my dive suit and I’m going to fashion some torso weights and boot weights out of EVA foam as well. I need to figure out a hose too…

8 Likes

So great thanks for sharing. Would love to see the final ensemble

3 Likes

I’ll make a note to post it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

octopus? or KRAKEN!?!

5 Likes

you know, it’s funny, i saw a real vintage dive helmet on some TV show recently. it was at a garage/estate sale on a folding table outside while someone was looking through stuff and i told my wife, “if i saw that on a table and it wasn’t outrageous, i have no idea what i’d do with it, but i think i’d have to buy it, just cuz.”

6 Likes

Oh yeah, I would I would get it and never have a single regret.

This was one of those finds, but it was on Ebay.

It’s a handcranked silent film era projector

15 Likes

Too brilliant for words!!! :hushed: :open_mouth: :astonished:

2 Likes

I would have snatched that up too!

3 Likes

Great Job. I am envious of your talent.

2 Likes

Amazing!

2 Likes

Such incredible work! If you don’t mind me asking, did you make it just because you could, or is it for something specific?

3 Likes