Vintage Divers Helmet - EVA Foam!

Wow! That looks amazing! Great job

2 Likes

Which is why I don’t make “just because” stuff; my house already looks like a neophyte’s hoarder den with all the yard sale stuff we said we could refurb/repurpose.

6 Likes

Amazing work!

2 Likes

Amazon.ca likely carries it but you can find it at auto parts stores too. Also Walmart in the automotive section sometimes.

3 Likes

Truly incredible!!

3 Likes

You might also look for Celastic I ended up with a decent roll of it. Looking just now I see someone mentioned using a heat gun on it but I was using it in a carport with lacquer thinner.

Starting like thin cardboard, it dries incredibly thin and strong and cuts like cardboard in the Glowforge.

2 Likes

Wow. I had never heard of this before. It sounds very similar to worbla, which is a mix of thermoplastic and sawdust essentially. Except it sounds like celastic would be much thinner! I even found a Canadian supplier…$4.10 for a 12x12 sheet. I’ll have to do some experimentation. So have you cut this in your GF? I’m message you for some settings if you don’t mind.

2 Likes

A mix of plastic and light cloth is much more stable so you can stretch it over a surface and not have it fall apart as a pile of sawdust would. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It is basically one-millimeter cardboard as far as cutting it is concerned. and I think that the finished material would mike thinner except it is rarely one layer only. If you nose around an old theater prop shop they might even give you a roll of it as they did for me :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

This is AMAZING!!!

1 Like

OUTSTANDING!!! Creating is what we are here for…

1 Like

That is SO stinkin’ cool!!! You did a FANTASTIC job on it!

1 Like