Wall Pockets

Did you right click both files and save as svg? It sounds to me like you clicked the photo. Your dashboard for 1/8" material should look like this:

2 Likes

Worked!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

2 Likes

Yes, I have a Curio and was thinking the same. Since they donā€™t make it anymore Iā€™m wondering about software support.

1 Like

Iā€™m likely going to be in the same boat as you with the GF first and Cricut second. I also sew and have quite the collection of faux leather that unfortunately contains pvc which cannot be Laser cut. Considering the cricut, but only if it can cut some of my thicker handbag grade faux Leathers. Still researching my options though.

3 Likes

Cricut tends to keep stuff ā€œon campusā€ limiting access except through them. I have been looking at the Brother machine which seems more ā€œopen sourceā€ and flexible.

2 Likes

I was not aware that Brother had a cutter. I will most certainly be checking it out! Thank you so much for the information!

2 Likes

The latest Silhouette Cameos are capable of 5000 grams of downforce and thereā€™s an available rotary blade. (And if you use their ā€œbusiness editionā€ software, SVG files can be exported for GF use. )

4 Likes

Yes, Silhouette was the third company that in my mind sits halfway between Cricut and Brother. making you pay extra for software they donā€™t maim is a very Cricut mindset, except I donā€™t know if they they offer unmaimed versions.

2 Likes

I guess it depends on what you mean by unmaimed?

Personally, I use their Connect plugin for Illustrator so Iā€™m not fully up to date on the differences between the free and BE versions.

1 Like

I wonder if that would work in Inkscape? There was no good reason for any of these folks not to play games corralling their customers into sheep pens beyond the fear that a customer might wander off and not keep providing them money. Lots of bad experiences in that vein perhaps make me too sensitive but to go into more detail is beyond the comity of this forum.

1 Like

Iā€™ll add it to my homework list, thank you!

1 Like

Let me know if you get one! I have a few cricut cutters but my sewing machines are all brothers (except my walking foot). I love brothers stuff. Cricut is really good at being easy to pick up but their app just always crashes. I am tempted on switching to brothers.

2 Likes

I have not gone there as yet as I am looking to have it do reposseeā€™ on thin copper to build into Glowforge stuff as well as cutting thin soft copper, and other things Glowforge cannot do.

If I knew it would do that I would jump right in but the available tools are made by other than Brother and I do not know what fits.

1 Like

who makes the other tools?

2 Likes

I had trouble tracing that down. That was a part of why I have not gone there. Silhouette supposedly was able to run some of the same tools as Brother but I was not able to confirm that. Both had heavy-duty pressure capability but that was mostly about cutting.

1 Like

Do you have a specific copper you are looking at? I have a cricut maker and every tool head for it I could get. Happy to let you know results I get on certain materials with that. It looks like the maker is strong pressure like the brother.

2 Likes

Copper flashing is soft rolled and is sold in weight per sq ft. I have 4oz and 16oz that is much heavier. Also, aluminum that is a lot like the 4oz copper. They are commonly used in the groin of two slopes in a roof to keep the water from getting in there and directing it down to the inner corner of the roof.

When a builder uses it any leftover is usually sold to recyclers where it is sold for a bit over the scrap price, much less than new. That is where I got mine. I did find the aluminum at HD.

1 Like