Walnut Proofgrade Error in HD Engrave

Has anyone else noticed that recently the HD Engrave setting for Medium Walnut Proofgrade is only a power of 6, which s barely enough to to get through the coating and not enough to engrave into the wood underneath at all? Has anyone else come across this --it seems to be a new development, possibly with the last upgrade…

3 Likes

Proofgrade Walnut Hardwood. Yes. You are correct.

3 Likes

Pretty sure it’s always been that way.

With the high LPI and slow speed, it shouldn’t have any problems burning away.

I messed around with some 675 LPI stuff on wood and I had to drop the power to 1 to keep it from carving deep.

3 Likes

Maybe its this piece of walnut, then. I’ve never had any problem with it engraving this very same design before – but this time with 4 different tries it barely mars the surface…

Spotless optics? With really low power levels, it seems that they have to be really clean. And focus is critical. Did the red beam fall on the material?

2 Likes

Yes - cleaned the optics, the red beam fell on the material as it should, and it cuts things out perfectly – it is just the engrave setting that seems insufficient. Tried an experiment and told the GF it was PG Cherry, and the HD engrave worked perfectly…

1 Like

I’m sorry that you’ve run into trouble when engraving on Medium Walnut Proofgrade. I’m glad that you’ve found a work-around for now! Do you happen to know the time and date of the last print you tried on that material using the default Proofgrade settings? If so, I’d like to extract the logs from that print and take a closer look at this.

1 Like

Tomorrow morning, I will try one more and send you the time and date so you can look at it. The last time I tried the walnut at the PG setting was on Friday, the 23rd I believe but I am not sure of the exact time.

Actually doing one right now so you can check it – 9:10 PST on Tuesday August 27.

Here is a photo – PG Cherry at HD engrave

setting and PG Walnut at HD Engrave setting

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed information you provided. I just wanted to follow-up and let you know that our team is investigating this topic based on your report. I’m going to close this topic for now, but if you run into any similar scenarios using Proofgrade settings on other materials, please reach out either here on the forum or via support@glowforge.com.

1 Like