Warp in proofgrade wood products?

While I’m in info-collecting mode, does anyone have an estimate of the vertical distance between the top of the honeycomb bed and the lens that is in the lid (not the one in the moving head)?

It just so happens that @marmak3261 has a ruler.

6 Likes

To the best of my ability to measure because it’s a challenge to find a reference point and put a measuring device in the Glowforge and then close the lid without my hand being in the way. Brother attempted it:

4 and 7/8 to surface of the lens in the lid camera.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

The hygrometer logs would tell you what their humidity levels are. I’m sure they’re higher than someone in Phoenix or even my house - we’re in the winter heating season an my house starts getting into the 30-40% humidity zone. During August it’ll be twice that. Wood warps differently here summer vs winter.

See What's needed for pass-through to work with warped materials

What magnets do you have/use? Size?
I’ve been looking into getting some time have at ready. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

These first ones are my “go to” magnets. They’re fine for 1/8" Baltic Birch and cardboard or paper that might get blown by the air assist.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCURY4U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are bigger but still thin enough to fit under the head when it’s focused properly so they’re for larger stock where I only want to use 1 magnet vs a couple of the smaller ones spaced out a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CQ9AGE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are a great set as well. Thin and widespread force. Wicked strong.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0181LX6JQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 Likes

Just curious if anyone has an idea. I know the honeycomb grate is built specifically to be magnetic, but is there anything in the glowforge that particularly strong magnets could affect if they were placed on the bed. I’m asking because a while back (several years now) I bought some rare earth magnets that are ridiculously strong. They are about 1/2 in wide and an inch tall and if you get your finger between two of them you will regret it :stuck_out_tongue: they would be great as stops because nothing will easily move them, but I wouldn’t want their magnetic field interfering with any of the “magic” going on in my glowforge.

3 Likes

The GF has some electronics/cables sensors on the moving head…and if you move those through a strong magnetic field, electricity is induced in the copper wires and flows. So, is it enough to disrupt anything? - Rich

that was my question :smile: I bought these to hold paper on the back of a 1/4 inch plexiglass marker board (one magnet on each side “clipping” the background paper to the board. That way I could put any kind of background behind what I was writing that I wanted to. Worked great, but even through 1/4" plexi the pull was so strong it took a good amount of force to pull them apart, and even more to keep them form then snapping to the metal frame!

Seeing how the print head is held in place by neo-magnets, can’t see how this would be an issue. (Yes, I know that movement might be the concern, but head moves past other components, too.)

A quick search for Dan + magnets revealed

3 Likes

Good find, thanks.

Not an expert, but I’ve seen rare earth magnets bend and distort things from long distances. I plan on using cheap little welding magnets to make sure I don’t get interference.

The magnets that hold the head are a static magnetic field in relation to the electronics and captive with the other magnets or metal parts of the head that hold the head in place. I wouldn’t expect the head moving through the magnetic field of magnets holding down material to be a problem, but how strong are the magnets and (magnetic field) that might disrupt something enough to matter? :confused: - Rich

2 Likes

Ok. you win.

4 Likes

ROFL - Rich

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t have that information handy, and it’s challenging to collect as our material is stored flat and weighted so I’d have to go get measuring equipment and pull sheets. We are also actively working on warp control (this makes us sound like the engineering deck of the enterprise) so this number will change.

11 Likes

No worries, don’t need that info anymore.