Warranty re-furb failing test runs. Not cutting through on PG

Received replacement re-furb PLUS. Most looks ok, but not firing right out of the box.

1. Ran the Gift of good measure on PG medium draft board. Results: did not CUT through. Almost but not quite. Engrave and score were fine

2. Searched here and read up some GF support troubleshoot steps.

3. Backed out of GF app. Cleared history/cache and reentered the app.

4. Removed the head, cleaned all lenses, bottom and internal mirror. Cleaned lense on left side of machine.

5. Loaded Gift of good measure, set all engraves and scores to ignore. Verified cut was set to PG and Material set to medium draft board. Results: cut through fully (here’s the part where I think the cleaning fixed it lol)…

6. Ran same print again this time with engrave and score enabled. Result: did not cut through, almost again, but not quite just like the 1st go.

7. Took pics of both sides of all the attempts. Machine runs ok, but looking to make sure it is passing it’s own PG expectation before moving on to my normal projects.

Side note: also would like to have my old (returned) machine removed from account hopefully without removing our artwork project history. Will need to make sure we remove the correct machine name lol.

If anyone else has anything I need to look for please chime in. Pretty sure we can use the machine and bump up the power (or slow the cut speed) to get by. But would rather have this thing cut through PG materials on default. A little concerned about losing performance over time with this replacement.

In other exciting news! Just got notification that our “backup” new PLUS is on its way! So thats cool lol

1 Like

And yes. Honeycomb is flat, base is free of debris, camera is clean and material was flat and flush. Used QR code to read PG material :wink:

The draftboard has had an issue with humidity, it gets just a bit thicker (and more water) and the PG settings are almost but not quite enough. (which is what you are reporting) If you put a micrometer on it (where it cut and where it didn’t) It could show the difference. Even just having it out with something sitting on it would make it swell differently. I watched my desk made of it years ago crumble back to the sawdust from which it came so don’t use it much. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

In searching I found another interesting thing. QR codes. I m gonna guess that the PG med. Draft I used is like 3-4 years old lol (I have 2 older machines at my shop). I do not have a fresh NEW sheet of med. Draft on me. That’s all I had.

1. Shelf life on PG?
  2. QR codes been revised in last 3-4 years? (This is the thing I’m interested in tbh)
  3. PG settings tied to particular machines/models? Like the machine I returned was t months old but dont know how old this replacement is. So maybe Thats playing into this?
  4. Open suggestions and troubleshooting welcome lol

Ahhhh! That could be it! I just tested acrylic. Lets see what happpened

1 Like

Acrylic cut through with PG settings. Maybe on to something with the old material :wink:

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble! I appreciate you working through the instructions the community has provided.

I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review your most recent prints, and it does appear that your Glowforge is experiencing trouble cutting through on the older pieces of Proofgrade material you were printing. Other materials do look to have cut through properly, and everything else looks like its been performing great!

I’ve removed your original unit that was replaced from your account, so you should only see the new replacement unit in the Glowforge App. Please let us know if you’re still seeing the older unit, and we’d be happy to take a look.

I’d also like to see if performing the Gift of Good Measure print on newer pieces of Proofgrade Draftboard material experiences the same trouble. I’ve issued a gift card directly via email, so that you can use it to purchase some material from our shop here

Please let me know if you notice any more cut through trouble on additional materials, or if you are experiencing trouble utilizing the gift card I’ve emailed.

Once you’ve been able to purchase new material, and replicate the same print, we’ll send over the next best steps if you run into the same snag.

Let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

Fantastic! Sounds like a plan and I appreciate you guys looking into the cut issue, removing the old machine ;), and credit to order some fresh PG material for a proper test. Will get that ordered and will follow up soon as I can. Thank you

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll make sure we keep this thread open a little longer, and wait until we’ve heard back after the test. Once we can review the log files from the test print, we’ll send over the next best steps if the same behavior occurs.

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.