Washing wood without warping

My bottle of fingernail polish remover from “Studio 35 Beauty” says 100% Acetone on the label.

The 3d engraved wood (maple hardwood 1/8" PG) still warped after a dip in acetone.

I had a piece of non pg maple warp like a taco from alcohol. Amazing thing was that after about 4 or 5 days it’s neatly flat again. Not perfect, but not a debacle either.

This looks awesome!! I know its not the topic but i have a couple questions… What format to you use for this 3d Engrave… I’ve tried detailed vector art and rendering wouldn’t handle it! and do you use tape over the wood or just the material without the tapes protection? THANKS FOR SHARING!

No masking. It was a raster piece pulled from wiki.

3D engraving takes a black-and-white bitmap image - you just need to rasterize your vector before you upload it.

Not to correct @dan here (more like elaborate a bit), but 3d engraving needs a greyscale raster image (bitmap/png/jpeg) or an SVG or pdf with one embedded.

Black and white will not get depth gradients, you might as well be engraving rasters at that point.

I’d say black and white is a pretty accepted and generally understood term as far as images are concerned. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say, “I love grayscale photography.” I’ve heard a lot of people say, “I love black and white photography.”

2 Likes

Here’s a good link to show what kind of images work well with 3D.

http://bit.ly/2zaLQFX (short cut so you don’t have to read the thread if ya don’t want :slight_smile: )

Here’s a bit more info about it

and some more examples here too :slight_smile:

I remove masking before engraving as it just turns gummy and can be hard to get off. I just clean the wood residue off with alcohol or orange cleaner. To me, the remaining discoloration adds depth and character to the engravings. YMMV of course .

1 Like

…but we’re communicating with self-professed newbies who may or may not take it literally. In fact, oddly enough, I hear “black and white bitmap” and I literally think black and white pixel art. I hear “black and white jpeg” and I assume it’ll be greyscale. Clarity in instructions is never a bad thing.

4 Likes

Not to beat a dead horse, photography and it’s terms are sometimes completely different from computer graphics. Greyscale is definitely the correct and clear usage here. Black and white is very specific especially when followed by “bitmap.” If I didn’t know anything about 3D engraves, I’d have thought of a 1 bit image after reading that. So it was a fair clarification.