Wave Tray

Every time I see your work it gives me a new level to aspire to achieve. Oh and the bump is genius!

6 Likes

A beauty that every new thing is stunning. The bump is great. I suppose that you had also white waves on black wenge background possible but that ends up in the scrap?

Also what did you use for feet? I expected that the wenge would continue down and if too harsh a square of cork just a hair thickerwould provide that surface.

Perfection can have its down side as well and make folk not believe it is what it is. I once carved a piece of perfect lapis into a fish and set it on a beautiful piece of blood coral, and even in a showcase with gold and a gold setting folk thought it was plastic.

3 Likes

Amazing, as always, and I really like that “bump” trick!

2 Likes

white waves…scrap

It’s kerf adjusted so not exactly. The cutouts aren’t the same shape as the final pieces. That being said I’ve made a “negative” of this, it’s half-built. I’ll post pics when it’s done.

See here: A simple tray

Same feet here.

3 Likes

Another amazing piece! We all look forward to seeing your work!

3 Likes

DAYUM! That is sofa king amazing! I aspire!

THANK YOU!

3 Likes

oh my, another gorgeous project

2 Likes

Favorite.

2 Likes

Beautiful work.

2 Likes

As promised:

Wenge, Canarywood/Canarywood, Wenge

21 Likes

just… drool.

2 Likes

Maybe I missed it in one of your other posts… but how does the bottom fit in?

1 Like

Yup… It’s in the comments here:

TL;dr; it’s glue.

3 Likes

That is what I thought! I always hated the look of finger jointed bottoms so I try to do dados for any of my box bottoms

1 Like

Too much labor for a tray this small. They just don’t need that kind of structural stability at this scale. The sides have no handles, when you pick it up, you hold it from the bottom. The glue is plenty strong for its intended use. Now, if the recipients stack them and use them as a stepping stool, things are going to go sideways, but that’s on them.

3 Likes

100% understand! My dice boxes have 3/8 to half inch thick walls so they are a little easier to work a dado into. I do it pretty much just so I can use cheaper fiber board material. I am covering it with felt anyways so it makes sense for what I was doing

1 Like

Wow! The finished products are gorgeous.

1 Like

Happy accidents. Look what happens when you stack them:

And if you put the top one on the bottom instead you get this:

That is unexpectedly pleasing.

25 Likes

That’s so awesome I’m not sure I could articulate it any better if I tried…

2 Likes

That’s awesome! What happens if you flip the one on top, so the two tops of the trays meet in the middle?

1 Like