Wavering

The edge of the material to see if they are all at right angles, or at least all slightly off by the same amount.

Oh, right. I get it. It should be a consistent angle no matter what. Okay. Now… Do I have a set square… Maybe the kids have a protractor. I’ll check my toolbox now and the kids when they bother waking up.

1 Like

Man, that’s frustrating. After waiting all this time, I have to say you handle it well - at least externally. I can imagine the feelings.
I’m sure the team will square you away, one way or another. This is valuable to them to identify and correct the issue, just unfortunate that yours is the guinea pig.

This is consistent regardless of where the material is placed on the bed?

I imagine it would be worse on the edges as they’ve stated distortion is greater the farther from center. So I always drop my material center-bed.

I have no doubt. As I told Rita: I’m definitely not mad. I’m definitely sad. I’m definitely confident Glowforge will resolve the issue quickly.

Fact is, I’ve been working with this machine for the past weeks. I clearly had the problem day 1 and didn’t even notice until just the other day. So I’m looking forward to having the issue resolved, but I’m not going to let it stop me at the moment. I’m going to hold off on the wedding gifts I need to make, but I’m still going to make River a name tag.

River:

20 Likes

Man, that is cute overload, and I’m not a cat person.

True the wide angle camera distortion is more pronounced on the edges, but with a loaded file as opposed to a trace, bed position shouldn’t make any difference.
I was just wondering if it were related to gantry movement it may be localized to a particular section of gantry travel. I would be compelled to do tests at the very front and at the back to see if the problem traveled with.

3 Likes

Yeah… I spent hours doing the tests above last night. Each test was ~15 minutes and I’d done a couple that I didn’t show. For now I’m done testing (barring Support requests). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely cannot go wrong with pictures of ADORABLE kittens in a collar that is too big! :smile:

3 Likes

She is by far the prettiest cat we’ve ever had. And, yes… the collar is a little too big, but that’s actually as small as it gets. She’s 6 weeks old. Starting to get along with her considerably-older brothers. But it’s absolutely hilarious when she tries to get all big and ferocious. I don’t think she realizes she’s just a ridiculous fluffball.

7 Likes

Best of luck on your GF issue. Let us know what they say.

I bet everyone else on the thread is going over their projects with a magnifying glass now!

2 Likes

I would engrave a regular grid with the same width as the tardis to see the effect in detail.

If I had a gf I would be able to diagnose any problem like this as I have all the equipment, time and hundreds of dibond offcuts to engrave on.

Does the gf engrave this in both directions?

2 Likes

The cuteness! I give her 12/10!

2 Likes

So I’ve kinda got lost reading through this. I have no useful input but was just wondering, you are only seeing this on the engraves? Are you seeing any goofiness on the cuts? I haven’t seen it mentioned so I assume not.

2 Likes

They were referring to the misalignment between where the lid camera thinks things are and where they really are. Probably not related to the problems you are having.

1 Like

I haven’t specifically tested. However, I’m going to say that I don’t think cuts/scores are showing the issue. I just took a look at a score I did a couple days ago and it looks really straight to me. And so does the cut on the same piece. So, for now I’m going to say “unconfirmed.”

@tom_A
Not sure if this was covered but do you get exactly the same wave irrespective of where on the bed you engrave? Would also be interesting to see what happens with a 45 degree tilt on the whole image as well as a 90 degree rotate with that same file.

1 Like

Didn’t do 45º, But 90º is here: Wavering - #61 by Tom_A

Thanks @Tom_A
So it seem hardware related.

2 Likes

Couple of thoughts. Does the wavelength of the wave remain constant as the file is enlarged, and whether the wavelength corresponds to the circumference of the gantry wheels? :thinking:

1 Like

So - I am wondering about everyone’s electrical line / power supply quality.

We do not have a glowforge yet, but we do have lots of other interesting lights and machines. One of which is a dual boiler espresso machine, which was causing the lights to waver. This caused a lot of problems, since we do a lot of light measurement, we really like consistent lights. (We really like consistent espresso too - ultimately the power company got involved and we found out the neighbor up the street is an enormous power hog, which made our line very sensitive. They even put a new transformer outside our house to help.)

If anyone with this :glowforge: wavering problem happens to have a have a Kill-a-Watt, you can see if your line voltage is stable. Go into volt mode and if the power flickers around, you probably have this problem. Ours was wavering over a 3-4 volt range.

For our sensitive test gear, we put an APC LE1200 voltage regulator ($50) in front. This leveled out the noisy / variable voltage. The higher end UPS devices that actually condition the line to a full sine wave might work even better.

Just thinking out loud…

6 Likes

I use an APC H10 Power Conditioner on my home theater stuff and quite frequently see both over and undervoltage on the line. I’ve seen that at pretty much every address I’ve lived at since I bought the thing.

I don’t have a digital display but can see where the indicator lights are often at 110 or 130v. The narrow AVR range is designed to regulate 102-132v to 120v +/-5%, which is still a fair range (114-126v).

1 Like