Wax Seal Stamp!

This post is like Christmas… So many goodies. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice work Andy! What settings are you using on your Delrin? I’m having a heck of a time cutting all the way through on .4" stock. Trying to make a number of maker’s marks of differing sizes.

1 Like

Nice! A fabulous finish to your project!

1 Like

So this was etched and cut white delrin of what looks like 3/16" thick?

Looks thicker to me. (Just comparing his fingertips. :wink: )
Maybe even 3/8"?

Delrin seems to cut and engrave very easily. Doesn’t get melty or burny or anything. Cut edges are smooth. No super-foul odor. I haven’t used it much and I haven’t used any nearly that thick.

1 Like

How bout dipping stamp into water before pressing?

Wow, that’s good to know. I haven’t had much luck with delrin on other laser systems in the past. Does anyone have any good sources?

I’m using .25” thick Delrin.

2 Likes

I’ve tried that and also tried keeping it on an ice cube as you would a brass stamp. Delrin is fairly inert to temperature though so it didn’t really help.

I’ve got some new sticks in order coming. I’ve had these now for 12 years. I’m thinking they might be old… not sure if this matters.

At .4 I think it’s too thick for this machine. I’m using .25” stuff.

I’m getting my sheets from here: https://www.eplastics.com

2 Likes

Where do you get it from?

How do you order your Delrin? In a sheet? Did you then cut the circle out as part of your art file after you engraved the design? My daughter is asking about making a custom wax seal so I’m very intrigued. I also design custom invitations and would love to offer this to clients. THANK YOU!

1 Like

I order .25" thick sheets from ePlastics.com. The circle is a cut path and part of the file. I always do my cuts first and then engrave as it could make the surface a bit melted from the cut.

My only issue was the “wax” sticking a little to the stamp. I had to gently peel it away. Normally these are made of brass and you keep it on an ice cube to allow the stamp to release. Delrin is fairly inert to temperature so ice didn’t really help. It’s not a huge problem, just have to be careful peeling it out.

2 Likes

I saw your stuff at the Irish Fair recently. I live in La Verne too! Nice work!

3 Likes

Hey cool! Did you say hi? I met so many people that day. lol

Glad you like my work, thank you!

1 Like

hey there … i was just curious did you ever end up making the wax seal stamp out of delrin on your glowforge … if so how did it go? Im a calligrapher and brand new GF owner and I was interested in doing it myself. Thank you in advance for your time

I made a leather stamp in Delrin. I has a tendency to melt easily so I ended up using a large number if very light passes.

This is so cool
would you mind sharing your settings if you remember
Have a good day and Thank you

I don’t remember and kept changing it a lot perhaps 30 passes fast and low power.