Way Over My Head

I am reading the posts in here and suddenly realize I am in way over my head! I feel like I did when I bought my Commodore Vic 20 pre Windows.

5 Likes

As was I when I joined here 5 years ago. It was this community that damaged my ignorance. Welcome!
Did you have an issue with your machine? “Problems and Support” is for opening a support ticket.

6 Likes

Not so much an issue with the machine. I just assumed the software would be more user friendly. I am a crafter not a tech person so having to learn a whole new program (or two) is very intimidating. I just want to cut my own images.

I understand. Here is a list of tutorials that will be helpful!
A popular choice for design software is Inkscape. Free and very capable. Any time you spend learning design software will pay you back in spades.
I knew very little about it, and the “Trace” feature attracted me for that reason. I came to learn that without design skills I was severely limiting myself.
The UI is actually pretty easy, once you know your way around it. It comes very quickly with use. Read, practice, and ask questions! :sunglasses: This community has all the resources and help you might ever need.

Since this place is for reporting a problem with the machine, I’ll move it to an appropriate forum.
Again, welcome to the funhouse!

7 Likes

A lot of GF users report great success using Silhouette Studio business edition, it’s very simple compared to a full vector or 3D program. If you work on an iPad - Affinity Designer has a short learning curve. You’ll get the hang of a favorite in no time :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m one who uses Silhouette Studio, as I have had a Silhouette cutter for many years…That program has a fair bit of capability, at least for my needs thus far (1 year w/Glowforge). If you decide to use that, I’d be happy to help you get up to speed or troubleshoot any difficulties you have.

3 Likes

You can do it! If you have any specific questions, we’ll be glad to help.

3 Likes

I am a Cricut user. Is Silhouette Studio similar to Design Space?

2 Likes

I haven’t used Design Space myself (jumped from Cricut to Silhouette when Cricut was all still on cartridges), but from talking to friends, I think that Silhouette Studio gives you more options for designing…

Here is an article from a couple years ago comparing Design Space and Silhouette Studio:

1 Like

You can do it! I learned about the GF a couple of years ago and spent several months learning everything I could about it. Prior to ordering, I read everything I could here on the forum and then learned Adobe Illustrator. I did use Silhouette Studio previously but wanted more of a challenge. I am retired and this has allowed me to keep my brain working and given me an outlet so I have something creative for myself.

There are so many ways to learn what you need, just find what works for you. I’ll also link the first prints and steps you should walk through if you have not done so already. Please feel free to reach out if you need help.

3 Likes

If you have to learn one program, I say go all in and get good with a serious editor like inkscape, affinity or illustrator. You won’t outgrow it, and the advanced capabilities will enable you to execute designs that you haven’t even considered yet because they seem so out of reach with simpler software.

While you can probably execute many things with the silhouette or cricut designer, it will never be as capable as the true SVG-native editors, it’s just not designed to be. The time you spend learning the new software is an investment, it will pay you back.

6 Likes

As a beginner, I recommend choosing your project, search the Glowforge for something similar, and then ask question here if unsure. There is a learning curve with anything new. It’s a great time!

2 Likes

I’m also a newbie, got my GF Friday and made my successful initial prints and completed one object. I have used Photoshop for years but never used a vector program. i see you can output to AI from Photoshop. Can you output PS to Inkscape? And, where’s the best place to learn about Inkspace? I was messing around there last night and it has similar actions to PS but couldn’t make it do what i needed (or thought i needed).

Inkscape can work with just about any vector and raster file formats.

https://inkscape.org/learn/faq/#what-formats-can-inkscape-importexport

There are many free resources for learning just about any application, especially for free apps like Inkscape. There are also low-cost options for formal education programs, such as the one offered by LogosbyNick, which provides lifetime access to the training and support for a very reasonable fee.

2 Likes

Thanks, I started watching some videos today. Looks pretty similar to Photoshop as long as i know what tools do what:-). Appreciate the feedback. Did my first etched picture today and it turned out really good. i do a lot of photography so prepping the pics was the easy part but so important. Anxious to do more!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.