Weak Laser in Tube and Out of Head

The laser was running just fine, went to do another print of the same designs and same setting as before and the laser started to skip a few areas. Tried to engrave other very recent designs, that worked just fine, and now the laser will barely scratch the surface of the contact paper.

The tube shows very faint laser pulses

What I’ve done so far:
-Cleaned crum tray, all lenses and metal reflector in the head
-cleaned all glass surfaces and camera
-cleaned back vent
-start and stopped GF with head in center and back left corner multiple times
-detached ribbon from head, reconnected
-tried multiple designs and settings
-unplugged, plugged back in
-no reflective things on in the laser, just Proofgrade wood

Support will ask you to print the Gift of Good Measure on Medium Draftboard, and post pics of the results here.

1 Like

Specifically they will ask to see the front and back of the print.

Have you checked to see if the lens is upside down?

1 Like

well what was weird is that I didn’t touch it between the times it was working and not working. but yes, after cleaning it I made sure it was in right :slight_smile: thank you

I just tried the Gift of Good Measure on Medium Draftboard. Middle of the engraving (but laser not working) the GF made clicking noises and the fan died down, fan booted back up, died down again.

The clicking noise appeared to match the pattern of when the laser would come out (could be coincidence) but just going by the natural pattern and rhythm, it seemed like the same timing of the laser firing.

Clicking noise came from the right side of the GF, can’t tell if inside or outside. No obstruction outside of the GF. Sometimes paper or something would be pulled in by the fan and make a similar noise… not that case.

I canceled the “Gift of Good Measure” as I was nervous of what was happening.

@GlowforgeStaff I would send a pic of the Gift of Good Measure test run…but theres literally nothing to show.

The overall sound of the machine is different. I believe it’s quieter now…probably not in a good way.

I would prob wait for support to pull the logs and look into it being the power supply is on the right side and you say the noise matches the use of the laser it could be a power problem. All just a guess tho. Better to be safe.

Definitely!

Thanks for letting us know what you’ve already tried. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge and I was able to see the attempted print of the Gift of Good Measure. Unfortunately, it looks like the lid was opened before an image of the bed could be captured at the end of the print. We’ll need to investigate the logs from a completed print, including this lid image, in order to best diagnose the issue.

Could you please do the following for me?

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish
  3. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates
  4. Check the completed print:
  • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to engrave, please let us know the date and time of the print
  • If the Gift of Good Measure engraves successfully, please try another print of the design you sent us. Engrave the design on Proofgrade Draftboard using Proofgrade settings. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.
  1. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print

Thank you in advance!

approximately 3:10pm PST it stopped trying to engrave. Same things going on with the different sounds and clicking

This was the one of the last semi-working cut. The design was already used multiple times the day of and/or the day before. Went to the same file/settings/etc. and came out like this. then worse since then.

Hi @vee ,

My results are above

@GlowforgeStaff Can someone please advise?

@staffmember , please let me know if I need to do anything else :slight_smile:

I’m sorry for the ongoing trouble with your unit. Thank you for the additional details. I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once we have those pictures, we’ll follow up with next steps.

1 Like

@ivan1

Thank you for posting those photos. Unfortunately, it appears that your Glowforge is experiencing trouble that we aren’t going to be able to solve remotely.

I just reached out by email with the next steps to send this unit in for repair. I’m so sorry about the bad news.