Wedding Gift: Nixie Tube Clock

So my best friend got married and I needed a wedding gift. I’ve had this case of vintage IN-14 Nixie tubes in my closet for far too long, so this was a perfect opportunity to use them! I wanted to combine this old display technology into a clock along with a Glowforge created case. Even though it would mostly be created with the Glowforge, I really wanted it to look like it wasn’t created with a laser. Smooth curves, hidden joints, etc.

The design itself was inspired from the concept of two beings becoming one, which is reflected not only in the organic shape but also with the contrasting wood colors that make the top and the bottom.

Top: Walnut Hardwood and Maple Hardwood
Curved form: Draftboard living hinge
Curved wood: Oak veneer
Feet: Sign standoffs with draftboard spacers (laser cut edge was left as is)

Here is how the top and bottom were made, two pieces of walnut and maple. Finish was Danish oil. The top also has an inlaid maple accent:

Initial edge shaping done with an 1/8" round over bit. This was done a shaper, and I also created some draftboard blanks and taped them to the piece as a guide for the router. Then it was a lot of hand sanding to perfection.

I also created an interior draftboard form to wrap the living hinge around, before applying the veneer and clamping it all together. The veneer was dampened with a wet cloth before bending around the form.

As an electrical engineer, I had started designing the Nixie clock PCB myself, but realized my time was too short. I went with a nice board from PV Electronics in the UK. It was a few nights of hand soldering, but both kits worked the very first time.

The curved veneer side piece is totally captured with the maple outline. I did add two coats of wood glue to the inside of the living hinge for stability, but it probably was an unneeded step.

Mounted board with living hinge and veneer:

And a short video of the clock all powered up:

(and a shout out to my good buddy and master carpenter Tony for suggestions finishing the wood, how to use laminate, and for the shaper work)

74 Likes

Beautiful! I’m sure they’ll love it!
Thanks for sharing the design/build details–really adds to the appreciation of great design!

3 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

They absolutely loved it! Cheers.

2 Likes

I like your thorough approach to capturing the veneer and extra glue. Do it right, I say.

3 Likes

Beautiful.

2 Likes

You had me at Nixie Tube. This really came together well, that veneer covered living hinge is genius.

3 Likes

Epic build and what a wonderful gift!

3 Likes

Thanks! Honestly, I was pretty proud of the idea…and it turned out as well as I hoped. I’m sure I’ll be using that trick again.

2 Likes

This gift was absolutely a work from the heart.

2 Likes

Beautiful and amazing!

2 Likes

Turned out great nice and clean design for the base :slight_smile: ive always been in love with nixie tubes. will build one of these someday

2 Likes

Really great project! Thanks for the write up.
I have nothing nearly as interesting as a case of vintage IN-14 tubes in my closet. I would be making a gift out of plastic hangers.

3 Likes

Beautiful design and your write up was great! What a lovely gift!

1 Like

You can still buy nixie’s off eBay, but you pay a little premium these days. :wink:

As a fellow engineer, I appreciate the removable top to reveal the inner beauty as well… Fantastic work all around.

1 Like

Holy smokes! That’s a gorgeous design! And SO well-executed! REALLY appreciate the write-up and photos!

I’ve had these nixie tubes sitting in my drawer for about 3 years now. STILL haven’t made the clock itself yet. In my head I never dreamed about a design as cool as yours. At best I figured I might make a clear acrylic case 'cause I thought it might be cool to see the insides all the time. But, damn! Your design is so inspiring!

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for showing!

1 Like

Stunning design! They’re going to love it - so special!

1 Like

Glad you were inspired! Nixies really are a fun project.

1 Like