We're sorry, an error occurred while preparing this print

Printed fine for 3 days. Try to upload a new image today and get the “We’re sorry, an error occurred while preparing this print.” error. I try previous uploads, GF provided designs (the Party Plane airplane thingy), proofgrade settings (even though on non PG stuff), nothing works. I have power cycled the GF multiple times, I have restarted my browser and cleared my cache. I think that is most of the tips I have seen in other threads.

It moves the head to scan the material, moves back, and throws the error right after the screen changes to “preparing your design”.

For the latest attempt (the Party Plane) I opened the browser console and see that it throws a 404 for the design I am working on:
https://app.glowforge.com/api/design_snapshots?design_id=P8ORWwAa 404 (Not Found) even though the image does show up in the app to move and resize. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think I have tried most suggestions I have seen in other closed threads, anything I missed above that I should try?

Dang. I don’t know, but my first guess is connectivity if glowforge designs don’t work.

1 Like

my first guess is connectivity

But connectivity should be ok if it is getting the instruction to scan the material and is doing so, correct? My browser connection should be ok because the instruction was sent, and the GF connection should be ok if it started scanning the material. If that is what you were suggesting with “connectivity” :slight_smile:

That was my guess. An error at loading is usually either a file issue or connection problems. Since we know a file from glowforge isn’t the problem, my only guess is the connection.

I think the only other time I’ve seen it not be a file issue or a connection issue is if you have something too tall in there with the crumbtray installed. Doesn’t seem to like that.

1 Like

Hmmm… the current setup has the crumbtray removed and stuff stacked up to get a .6 inch item within the limits. I did print on the same item earlier today, but I will try putting the crumbtray back in with something short and see if that changes anything. Thanks for the tip. Will report back shortly.

Or maybe it’s also happened when the scan doesn’t actually hit the material?

When the head moves over to scan is it putting the red dot actually over the material?

1 Like

woohoo!!

Thanks to @jbmanning5 I took another look at things. I had been stacking blocks of wood up, and was missing one, so the height was .6" off of where I was saying it should be. Put in the correct number of blocks and it is happy again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @jbmanning5!

For the GF team… the error message could use a little work. If there is some form of a detection that the material is way outside of the allowed area, such that you can’t do do a print as a result… an error specifically mentioning that, even as a possibility to look at, would be greatly appreciated.

In related news, when I first attempted this print my brain wasn’t fully engaged and I was thinking I could put in a 2 inch thing on TOP of the tray. My item is .6" so I put that in. When I printed it out, the fan behind the head bumped into my material and so I looked things up again and found that .5" is my limit. Whoops. BUT… you’d think the app would say “look bonehead, .6” is too high… don’t do that"… or something similar. That should be an easy idiot proofing that you don’t allow a material height of over .5, unless there is some reason it should be allowed.

Thanks again to the great community here!

5 Likes

I’m glad to hear you resolved it, and I’ll second the thanks to @jbmanning5! Regarding error messaging, I’ll be sure to pass your feedback along to the team.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this.