"Whack-A-Mole"

We’re many months into stay-at-home boredom. Even the pets - who at first enjoyed the extra time and attention - seem a bit jaded and inclined to yawn these days. How better to spice things up than to spend an inordinate amount of time and effort to build a “Whack-A-Mole” toy for the cats? My advance apologies to any mole sympathizers.

I’ve seen these before and I know you can buy versions of this on Amazon and elsewhere, but one of my goals was to have a “hatch” over the top of each critter. Seems that this would preserve some mystery and keep the cats from just reaching in there and mauling the poor things. Yes, that was a feeble ‘mole malice’ atonement effort.

So, I whiled away the hours/days/weeks building this goofy thing. I like the fact that I can push up on any lever where the hatch has fully opened and that this will make it close again.

Now the dog is giving me a guilt trip because I haven’t designed any canine entertainment products. It never ends.

41 Likes

OMG, this is absolutely hilarious! How are you going to top that for the dog?

5 Likes

I love this! My kitties would haul arse in terror, but it’s so danged cute! :smile:

5 Likes

Awesome beyond words.

5 Likes

Great project! Bonus points for a video of a cat exploring it!

7 Likes

Wondering why the levers are in front of the “moles”? I was thinking that the person working the levers would want to be less obvious and in the way of the cat acting on them. Would want to totally have the levers automated to a button that the cat cannot see you playing with, But it is a beautiful design,

3 Likes

I love it. Do your cats?

3 Likes

This is so funny. My cats would probably be freaked out, but I’d end up playing with it anyway! Thanks for sharing the file!

2 Likes

Very clever! I am also hoping to see the cats playing with it…

4 Likes

Super cute! My cats love the whack-a-ball that whirls around the track, so they’d probably love this too.

2 Likes

You have to include a video of the cats playing with it now too.

2 Likes

Where did you find your moles? :thinking:

2 Likes

That is fantastic! My daughter just made one with a cardboard box, and holes cut out of the top. She’s going to flip when I show her this one!

4 Likes

Such a great end result! Very fun.

3 Likes

Very, very, Wack-a-mole-y (no Avocados?)

3 Likes

Good old Amazon:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s been challenging. The cats are not scared of it, but neither do they covet it. Sigh.

1 Like

I oriented that way because the video I watched which inspired my creating it showed the cat messing with the levers and causing the moles to pop-up. I had hopes that my cats could learn to do the same. My cats aren’t nearly as smart as the one in the video.

2 Likes

Love it? Sadly, no. A bit curious at times? I think so. It’s not a slam dunk, but it was fun to design and make.

2 Likes

They are possibly smarter. They figured it out and said “we’re not dumb enough to fall for that!” :rofl:

4 Likes