What a difference!

She wanted a 12x12! I still want the rest!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree. Leave the policing to them.

8 Likes

@dan and staff need to put these policies in written form and distribute them. That way everyone gets them and understands them. Having them mixed within a thread and broken in two is definitely not the way to do it. I’m surprised the lawyers allow it.

4 Likes

i also think the expectations have not been clearly or consistently set.

2 Likes

Yup. I’m all for helping out, but as someone pointed out earlier, it’s their forum. They can do that work if they choose to. I find the other category redundant, and extra work for me as a forum user in having two places to find things.

I thought they were too busy making our Glowforges awesome. It seems petty to start policing this at this time.

If it persists, people will stop posting things here and move their posts to other forums or FB.

6 Likes

I can’t see why one category has warnings of death, why not just put a similar disclaimer on “Made on a Glowforge” and then there would be no problem. After all, people might post things they made that might be dangerous. For example, decorative switch covers not made from fireproof materials.

3 Likes

I would say that “Made on a Glowforge” category is to showcase a GF :glowforge: using the PG :proofgrade: (a GF product) without the need to tweak, manipulate and adjust anything in the GFUI.

Like any branding/marketing of a company product, the MoaG category really wants to stick to the company’s focus and presentation of their product.

Not quite handled well on enforcement/training, but as people have discovered, the PG :proofgrade: materials have been phenomenal and Glowforge does want to include in the promotions and marketing the user “Made on a Glowforge” highlighted area to demonstrate the easy and beauty of :glowforge: :proofgrade:

3 Likes

I agree that the product is great and non proofgrade doesn’t belong there, but not to use the new settings on that product, making something the best you can, seems to defeat what the GF is all about.
Yes, the proofgrade settings work and work well, but not being able to post other settings has major drawbacks.
My understanding of the “policy” is that non proofgrade materials belong in beyond the manual and any non proofgrade settings used on proofgrade belong there as well.
I don’t consider the new engrave settings to be non proofgrade since each of these are designed to engrave a certain way. That’s the program that they made and released. It’s not strict from scratch settings. Hope that makes sense and it’s the way I understood the two part broken hidden in a threat policy. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

True, the grey area should have had Glowforge staff work with your very beautiful work.

Worse case scenario should have been “Here are the differences (pictured) and the settings could have cross posted”. That would give Glowforge an opportunity to tweak the PG :proofgrade: settings and work with you on testing.

Either way, thanks for showing us your work! :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hey, I was impressed with how well it turned out.
But I also made the mistake of doing two passes with the pg settings.
I’m glad to see a lot of people are as impressed as I am.
More the machine and gfui than me.

4 Likes

Stunning work @teditz! I love that you were able to work with the software and materials to get the look you were aiming for. It’s truly stunning.

Let me apologize for a few things. First, the way we have reorganized the forums is a balance between what we think you want and what our Friendly Neighborhood Lawyers and safety consultants think will cause newcomers to be confused and make dangerous mistakes. It’s better than what they wanted, but not as simple as I (or you) would have liked. I’m sorry.

Second, for the confusion about it. I’ve just updated the guidelines to clarify - hopefully, that can be a single point of reference. If there are other posts that need to be updated to be consistent with that, just let me know. They key point on which we were unclear is this: please do not share manual settings outside of Beyond the Manual. All projects, Proofgrade or no, are welcome here.

Finally, to those who ask “can’t Glowforge do it” - it’s possible. Unfortunately, our time is short. We often delete or flag problems because our all-too-short workday and many responsibilities don’t allow us to warn and then check in later to see if the warning was heeded. Kind souls here have volunteered to help us organize the forum, and we are deeply grateful to them. When those people who frequent the forums give a gentle warning, it’s far better. Please thank them, even if you disagree; they’re helping the forum run smoothly, and avoiding blunter consequences.

10 Likes

And bookmarking for later Reference.

The guidelines link you posted gives me “Sorry, you don’t have access to that topic!”. I get that quite often recently and some 404’s.

4 Likes

Same here. I don’t have access.

1 Like

Likewise. @dan, please fix the link.

i’m reasonably sure he just left a /t/ in the url.

i’m guessing it’s related to how admin accounts edit the more static pages of the forum.

6 Likes

I get a 404 on @Rita’s troublshooting guide. Is that supposed to be secret or is that just a bad link?

less secret than restricted to people who’ve already gotten their glowforge, i think. which is strange, but.

It’s been a struggle for me to keep current on the forums and seems that I can’t go a session of perusing the forums the last couple weeks without this drama coming up.

It is a bit disheartening posting a project to made on a glow forge without saying anything about settings at all, and seeing someone else arbitrarily moving it to another section altogether.

I’m one of the people that would rather use the glow forge rather than sit all day reading and talking about it. Or play a game. This last time I lost regular status I know to get it back I will have to spend several dozens of hours straight reading posts to get it back. Reading just a handful a day isn’t going to do it(as I’ve been doing that for the last 4 months). But now that I have a unit, I’d rather use it than spend all that time.

I liked showcasing some examples of what it can do, but it’s getting super dramatic up in here. I feel appropriate to let you know I also would say “I’ve had enough”… For now…

9 Likes

Awesome project! I like how it turned out at the end.

I think there are just some growing pains in the forum right now. I hope you will keep posting things in the future. I love seeing what other people are working on!

3 Likes