What a difference!

How am I caught and the past week several ave “snuck” by?? Makes no sense.
And if people aren’t reading posts… Well, you get where that’s going.

i’m sorry you feel caught out. in the interests of fairness, i just went through the last week plus of topics (topics, not posts) posted in the ‘made on a glowforge’ category. either none of them listed settings, or if they did, were also reminded of the unfortunate new rules, and moved the settings out of the category. you aren’t being targeted at all.

you may also be thinking of the ‘beyond the manual’ category, which the company has decreed may have settings posted.

nobody is being negative at all about your work, they’re just pointing out new rules. if you want to post settings, you can post your project in ‘beyond the manual’. or you can post it here and leave settings out. again, you’re definitely not being singled out.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the original person who asked you to remove the settings just made a mistake. It’s a new policy and it’s still pretty confusing…there are going to be goofs for a while. Maybe you could find it in yourself to overlook it this time? :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep posting your stuff…it’s worth seeing. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Just an FYI those that totally DON’T understand what @dan posted…

I will reiterate his statement… “How-to’s for non-PG material”
NON PROOFGRADE MATERIAL!!!
It’s been that way FOREVER!!!
So please people, know what the heck youre talking about before you look stupid!!!

3 Likes

Please read my last comment!!!

i see it, including all of the exclamation points. unfortunately, glowforge decided that you shouldn’t discuss settings for proofgrade materials either, unless they’re the ones that the laser has set for you automatically.

i understand that you are upset, but i suggest just taking a breath. nobody in the thread has been personally abusive or attacking you; we all need clarification on these (unnecessarily complicated) rules.

1 Like

It’s just sad that this has to turn out like this like most of the posts do now.
A project that I am proud of turns to crap.
It’s just not worth it!
I can skim though the negativety on other posts, but when it happens to mine, it’s personal.

1 Like

no one is really being negative, though, and certainly not about your project. this just highlights the absurdity since your custom mapping produced a much better result than the proofgrade setting.

2 Likes

My thought is that if GF wants to enforce these rules, let them move the posts. Let’s be supportive of each other and leave the rules management (especially for non-sensual rules) to people that made them.

6 Likes

It’s not really a custom setting to an extent. The program is designed to do a specific task. All you are doing is setting speed and power.
I just went through the posts I’ve made and 3/4 of them have stupid negativity from people.
Who cares if you don’t want to do something a certain way? Who cares if you don’t like a website or don’t subscribe to sites? Who cares if someone doesn’t like how you do something on Photoshop??
People need to learn to communicate in a positive manner, ie: hey that’s a cool way to do that, but I think this might be easier. Give it a try!
NOPE! That doesn’t happen.
So it sucks that it’s not worth it to share my projects any longer, but it not.

i’m sorry my words have hurt you, no negativity about your project has ever been implied or intended.

3 Likes

I know and appreciate that.
But I took Dan’s settings comment as an extension of his first.
I knew the rule, that’s why I posted my cardstock cutting in another category

yes, it’s all very unclear. in a post somewhere, he also lists non-pg settings for pg materials as banned in this category. it just makes things harder on the users, i think, since it seems like a lot of work to need to share a project in two different places and link between them, especially since it’s much easier to just, say, throw a picture up on social media and get all the feedback you want with no restrictions.

3 Likes

Correct

1 Like

I agree with what I expect you meant, but exactly which forum rules are you suggesting we manage ourselves? :laughing:

3 Likes

You know, there’s an easy way to soften this situation. While all of us try to play by the rules @dan and Glowforge implement, non of us are under obligation to act as police for these policies. Maybe this policy would be best left to @dan and staff to police and let them clarify. This is their product and their forum, and while everyone has good intentions, perhaps we should let those in charge take care of this for a while. If nothing else it will mean they have to pay closer attention to what some of these rules do to the community. I understand needing to limit liability, but other costs can be factored in as well, like killing the spirit of the community through unnecessarily complex guidelines.

14 Likes

That second one looks great, thanks for sharing, and I for one hope you don’t stop. :grinning:

1 Like

I think your engraving turned out awesome! Those changes really made it pop. I’m sure the happy couple will be very appreciative of your gift.

4 Likes

Thanks @dan_berry
That took 1hr 27mins to do. It’s only 5"x5". The wife wants a bigger one, 8"x8" (I talked her down). Hope there’s something good on TV! And I think I need a mini fridge!!

8 Likes

no, see, you’re going about this all wrong. she wants an 8x8? that’s fine, your glowforge needs a beer chiller. a bigger cutting board? oh, you’ll need a…status monitor…to help keep track of it.

7 Likes