What am I doing wrong? Engraving section no power

Hello. Me again. Silly question with probably a straightforward answer, but I’m a little stumped. I’m trying to engrave/cut the attached file. Everything shows up correctly in the browser, but when I try the print, the engrave portion appears to be 0 power (i.e. the laser doesn’t fire at all). I thought that maybe the laser had go kaput, but no, a regular cut works fine. I’m figuring it’s something with the .svg file, but I can’t figure out what is wrong with it. The text in it was originally imported from a pdf, but the GF browser recognizes it and gives me engraving options…any assistance, much appreciated.

NickChromogram Face V2

Looks like that is a vector engrave, and each letter is actually duplicated and pasted on top of itself. That causes a “short”, and the program does nothing. Try deleting one set and it should process fine.

4 Likes

How on earth did that happen…Thank you Jules!!!

5 Likes

No prob! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks again Jules…worked like a charm (after I deleted every single duplicate…is there a quick way of doing that in Inkscape?..). Now I need to play with engraving power as the standard on thick acrylic is a little too powerful for my needs…all good fun!

Probably so, but you might want to check with @evansd2 for that, I’m not a native Inkscape user. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If they’re all vectors, select all, Union, (optional) break apart. The union should merge any shapes that are in top of each other. Break apart would separate them into individual paths, though you might have to clean up letters with islands like O and Q by selecting all their parts and combining them after the break apart step.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer @Jules, that’s right your Glowforge won’t print overlapping vector designs. I’m going to close this thread - if you find yourself needing more help with this or run into any other issue, go ahead and post a new topic or contact us directly at support@glowforge.com.