What are people using the open flaps for? upgrade or not?

it kills me that i cant afford the pro because i like the option of the flaps. also, i started reading about people in miami like me order the pro just because of the better cooling. i know ill enjoy my glowforge pro or not. i really like this post just because it helps people see what possibility are out there. honestly im going to get into leather with my glowforge i think its the best money maker i can come up with so ill be able to save up for the glowforge 2.0.

1 Like

I just use regular wood glue (the yellow stuff). Iā€™ve not experimented much with glues though, so there might be something better.

1 Like

cool it would look like grilled cheeseā€¦you should re make the Jesus on Toast but on wood.

1 Like

As someone with a slight glue/adhesive obsession (I think I have about 15 different glues in my office right now), I would say regular old wood glue is probably what Iā€™d use, too.

I wasnā€™t really interested in the flaps - I could think of two or three projects to make using the flaps, but only one that I couldnā€™t figure out a way to make without the flaps - blinds. You could make super cool blinds with the flaps. But that wasnā€™t a good enough reason to justify the added expense for a feature I didnā€™t really want. I did want to buy the pro just for the better cooling, but ultimately decided against it because I preferred the safety, or perceived safety, of the basic.

Iā€™ll figure out a cooling work around just as Iā€™ll figure out size work arounds. And itā€™s an excuse to buy the next incarnation, no?

2 Likes

i completely agree with you @erin thatā€™s why i started this post because i wanted it but i didnā€™t want to pay that much more for it. even more; i could not think of any good reason to upgrade. reading this post from users like us has given me good reason to upgrade but still donā€™t help on the price.

If youā€™re on the fence, keep your basic. Itā€™s a great machine and you wonā€™t run out of things to do with it. I donā€™t want you to pay for a machine youā€™re not sure you need.

4 Likes

making swords/long weapons, cutting long pieces of cloth/leather.
also overflow for those irregular objects that I know would be 1/128" too large to fit in the glowforge and would drive me crazy if I didnt have the extra wiggle room.

2 Likes

this is what im talking about!!

1 Like