What does your Friday night look like?

Our little one is almost 2 and I think we just had our 3rd or 4th no-kids date since she was born… We used to go out on a date every month. But it is still worth it.

4 Likes

Sure! Wouldn’t trade it for anything. I think this year I’m going to try and push a monthly dates though. It shouldn’t be that hard to do, right?

(I can already see the flash forward from this posting to a year from now… “You said we’d go on a date every month! But that was in January of 2017!!!”)

5 Likes

and once you get your GlowForge, your wife will be complaining about all the time you spend with your new GF!

While I would love to do a monthly date, I don’t see that happening for another few years yet.

Growing up my Father would take each of us kids (3 of us) on a date, one-on-one. He would then take my mom on a date every fourth week. That didn’t really start until we were about 7 or 8 years old, but I still cherish those times with him and REALLY worked to help us connect with him throughout our teenage years. None of us rebelled as hard as some of our friends did with their parents. I actually really started missing those times when I went off to college.

I’m excited to have kids of my own and I’m looking forward to taking my own kids out and creating lasting bonds with each of them. It also builds in a week to take my wife out on a date each month as well. I have plans, but it will take some time before I can really execute them.

7 Likes

My Dad never really did that with us, but I’ve done it here and there with each of my kids. I just went on a date with my 11-year-old daughter Saturday night. Went to the movies and saw the horrible movie The Bye Bye Man. Tried to convince her to see anything else. I think I would have rather watched Sing. But, no. Anyway, still a very fun night with my daughter. And I think she really enjoys having an inside joke now with me from the stupid movie.

My oldest daughter’s rarely home these days. Working, friends, whatever. My son’s 8 and usually pretty damn happy to stay in and play video games with me or go out and play Lazer Tag or just run around and chase each other.

4 Likes

most of the time it’s mainly the effort of trying to spend quality time with them. As much as I dislike “staycations” it does allow me to spend quality time with my loved ones in familiar surroundings.

2 Likes

Make the time - it’s important. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Absolutely! Thing is, it’s equally important. We’re a family of 5. One-on-one time for each permutation can be pretty tough!

3 Likes

Oooohhhh, I want one!!

1 Like

my boys are 17 and 14 now and I could probably count my wife and I’s “childless dates” on my fingers and toes. Truth is we’d rather have them with us than not considering it won’t be much longer till all of our dates are “childless.” (looking forward to that too, but in a slightly sad way) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s how we feel, too. But every once in a while…

1 Like

Well really my entire weekends, not just Friday nights. :wink: I used to have a small gallery in downtown Las Vegas until they decided to take the building in another direction. The crazy thing is I had just signed a contract on a house downtown so I could be closer to the gallery.

Oh well…

So now my free time is spent getting The Photodrome put together. It turns out that the new place is fabulous for art and other projects. My last several weekends have been working on painting the outside wall and I will hopefully finish that up this weekend if the weather holds out. Then I need to get the fences prepped and painted so that I can cut some rose beds into the concrete in time to get the plants into the ground by mid march.

The never-ending wall painting:

The inside is coming along too. I took down a show at the federal courthouse at the end of the year and have been busy hanging frames. There is about sixty feet of track lighting in the living room - all RGB capable. (Alexa, turn on gallery lights!")

I forget what it is like to go out on the weekend. :smiley:

22 Likes

Very nice display!

4 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Since that picture I have started to decide on what images I want to display. “Lube Job,” the top one second from the left has replaced large 20 x 30 over the console stereo. I think for now I’m going to just replace that one in the 12 x 18 and the one below it. I like the flow of the others.

That’s just one corner of the room - there are another seven images hung throughout. The last couple of days I’ve been working on the kitchen and indoor garden - with more prints hanging. My gallery was small but I had a lot hanging. :wink:

I think I’ll be all moved in sometime around 2024. :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

Wow. That’s some collection!

2 Likes

Thank you - and that’s just one wall. :wink:

As I get more done inside the house I keep hanging more pictures. On the flip side I’ll be taking many of them down in two weeks. I just booked a show yesterday at the Foley Federal Courthouse here in Vegas. But that is a change I can deal with. :slight_smile:

I also sold a couple of prints yesterday including a 20 x 48 inch pano so I’ll make two of those while I’m at it to have something else to hang at home while the courthouse show is going on.

Next step is to figure out some way to incorporate the Glowforge into some photo projects. I’ve done some layered images in the past so that’s a possibility. The pieces for this composite image were cut with a utility knife and finished with a belt sander. the GF would have made short work of it. The panels are 12 x 16 if I recall correctly.

You can sort of see the layers between the blue, black and yellow. The prints were mounted to black foam core. The idea for the piece is that the yellow represents the neon around Vegas, the black is the architecture surrounding the neon and the blue is the nature surrounding the architecture. It probably doesn’t show but there is a quite a bit of intentional halftone screening and moire patterns in the images.

13 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t reply to your post, but was referring to the original post of all the games.

1 Like

Thanks. I have a wide range of what I like… it leads to lots of games. I also have a “collector” mentality which leads to never wanting to get rid of one… though maybe that’s a hoarder mentality :wink:

2 Likes

we looked like game hoarders before they were all on shelves!

2 Likes

That’s a cool piece. Neat sendup of all the the city is about.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Neon Boneyard in Vegas :slight_smile: that was a fun place to visit … although so hot when we went and probably more fun at night!

2 Likes