What happened here?

I can’t figure out what happened here. I was making some custom logo’s coasters for my restaurant. The first pic is a screen shot of the GF app, and you can clearly see that the coaster outlines are in the correct place, as are the logos. You can also see the misaligned coaster cuts if you look carefully. Second shot is the actual result. It looks like a couple of the coaster outlines just shifted after the laser started. The proofgrade plywood does not appear to have moved. Note also that one of the coaster outlines did not complete. So, what happened?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, engraves cannot be placed as far over to the right and left sides as cuts can - the head requires additional deceleration space for the side-to-side movements - so that is why the engraving probably didn’t print for that one coaster - it was too close to the right hand limit. (See how it is grayed out in the preview up top? That means it will not engrave. You want engraves to show up as pink.)

For the cut on that coaster - there have been a few issues with shifting on cuts placed in the lower right hand side on a few machines. Sadly, it sometimes requires replacing the machine, but you’re going to need to hear from support to verify that there is a problem with it.

What you can do to test for them and save yourself some communicating time, is open up and print the “Gift of Good Measure” on the sheet of spare Draftboard that they sent for testing purposes - place the print in approximately that spot on the board, but make sure that it is within the printable area. (Not overlapping the gray no-cut zone.)

Then take pictures and post the results here, along with the time and time zone of the test. You can also turn off the machine and slowly move the print head all the way to the left, and all the way to the right along the gantry, to see if it hangs up on anything, then forward and back along the right side. Then tell them your results.

Hope it winds up being nothing. Fingers crossed. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

You should turn off the machine and turn it back on before doing this part to recalibrate. If you don’t, it may not show the problem because the stepper has already lost steps from your coaster attempt and won’t print far enough right to show the problem.

5 Likes

Thanks folks. For whatever reason, I didn’t get any draftboard, so I ordered some more today rather than ruining any of my maple hardwood. I’ll run it as suggested later this week when the draftboard comes in

Sounds like you didn’t get your starter pack of Proofgrade. Hmmm, had your machine long?

While you’re waiting for the draftboard, you can workaround this problem by giving the right side an extra 0.25" of margin more than indicated in the UI.

1 Like

I was actually in the original crowdfunding order, and I did get the starter pack, I just don’t see any draftboard in it. I had not planned on needing an external vent for my Pro, so it took me quite a while to figure out venting in a concrete shop where the windows are 10’ off the ground. In other words, I’ve only made a handful of prints on mine.

I’m sorry I’m late to reply.

Thank you @Jules and @markwal, that’s exactly the correct next step.

@c_60 When the Draftboard arrives, please do the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  3. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure as far to the right as you can place it using the default settings.
  4. Send us a photo of how the print turns out and I’ll look into it.

Also, thanks for letting me know that you didn’t receive the extra sheet of Draftboard. I’ve passed along your feedback so we can continue to strive toward a consistent Proofgrade experience.

It’s been a little while since I’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let me know and we’ll get it solved.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.