What happens if we defer shipment, continued

Maybe it’s just me, but I always took it as if you say no to the initial email for whatever reason, like say you are remodeling and don’t want it until whenever you finish, you’d just email support whenever you are done saying that you’re ready for it.

2 Likes

right now, w/o any clarification from GF staff, it’s all speculation. it would really help if @rita or @dan would come back and clarify.

1 Like

I’ll repeat: You can always “defer” by not answering the email until you know you have the next 6 weeks golden, and then send back “yes, now please!”

1 Like

I would add that telling them you’re ready for it would put you back near the front of the queue…perhaps next to receive the golden ticket for a new 6-week window.

1 Like

I really had no input on this subject until it finally dawned on me what this ‘6 week window’ was that everyone was talking about. When I sent my PRU back and they sent me my invitation for my own unit shortly afterward…which I gladly accepted. They gave me the ‘6 week window’. I fully expected to have most of those weeks to work on some new designs and files, but, my Glowforge arrived exactly 1 week later…which leads me to think that the 6 week number is a very loose one. That could have really messed things up for some people.

5 Likes

some random comments.

the 1, 2, 3 list also has a 4th:
4. Don’t click Yes I want my unit till you will be available the next 6 weeks. I think there was some mention of a 30 day window to respond before your order was cancelled but also they will probably try harder to get a positive yes or no out of you.

If you can sign up with myUPS this is form their website:

We can hold your packages for upto seven days and deliver them within three days of your return. Just tell us if you’d like us to deliver to your home or a nearby UPS location.

This request takes priority over other delivery options, like setting an alternate delivery location.[/quote]

Would be also nice to have some acknowledgement that a random 6 week window without out a hey this is the week is it still ok can create some havoc. I lived alone for a large 30 year block of my life and was regularly asked to be on a plane for a customer emergency in 48 hours or less without a solid return window. Given people wanting to make vacation plans for summer and impending holidays it’s just a mess.

2 Likes

Was that buried in the legal section?

I can’t find it now but it used to be in either the FAQ or the purchase E-mail. I’ll keep looking though. Still with so many spam filters eating GF E-mails I’d expect them to try very hard before writing anyone off.

1 Like

found it. it’s in the terms of service at Glowforge Terms of Purchase and Service | Glowforge see 13 and 13.1

Purchase of the Product and Materials
Terms & Conditions for Online Offers to Purchase the Product. Each pre-order you submit for a Product constitutes an offer to purchase that Product. Pre-orders are complete when Glowforge informs you that your shipment is ready and you provide final approval to ship. Completed pre-orders are subject to Glowforge’s acceptance and may be rejected at any time and for any reason at Glowforge’s discretion. If Glowforge rejects your offer, Glowforge will, as your sole and exclusive remedy and Glowforge’s sole and exclusive liability, refund the amount you paid as described in Section 13.6. Glowforge will send you an email to the address provided by you once the Product is ready for shipment to indicate whether your pre-order has been accepted or rejected. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding Glowforge’s pre-order acceptance policy, or if you believe that your pre-order was rejected in error, please contact Glowforge at support@glowforge.com. If you do not provide your shipping information within 30 days of Glowforge’s request, Glowforge may, at its sole discretion, provide you a full refund of the amount you paid or continue to attempt to contact you. Glowforge will make reasonable efforts to contact you to provide a refund after that 30 day period, but if Glowforge does not receive a response from you within 90 days of Glowforge’s initial request for your shipping address, or if Glowforge is not able to process your refund after that 30 day period (for example, due to a cancelled credit card or closed PayPal account), then Glowforge will treat the amount that you paid as unclaimed property in accordance with applicable law.

The quoting/cut and paste was messy and both 30 and 90 are mentioned.

4 Likes

I think the six week window is totally unreasonable. Why isn’t it next day dispatch?

I don’t have a six week window from the beginning of October until the beginning of February because of two month long holidays a month apart.

3 Likes

Might get a lot more sympathy from the working folks if you hadn’t mentioned 2 months of vacation. :wink:

10 Likes

30 days is when they can decide to keep the offer open or refund your money. If you don’t respond after 90 days the refund becomes unclaimed property (e.g. you may not get your money back).

There isn’t anything that says if you respond after the 30 days but before the 90 days that they are under any obligation to ship you a unit - they reserve the right to determine if they’ll keep trying to contact you for shipment or make a refund, you don’t. That’s likely legalese, but that’s the deal we all agreed to.

Well even when I was employed i took a month long vacation by taking it across the holiday year boundary. Didn’t go down well with the technical director when he realised.

1 Like

I’m in that boat, I accepted the are you ready so i’m in the 6 week window. But I have spots where I will be travelling for a few days at a time coming up and I am paranoid its going to of course suddenly ship during one of those periods. Then I will be scrambling to find someone to house-sit to receive it on short notice. But I certainly don’t want to have to delay it through UPS as that sounds like a death wish for the box.

1 Like

The question asked was “If I have to defer shipment, can I specify a future time window for delivery?”

And the answer was “No, We’re trying to make this as easy as possible but you can not select a specific time window.”

If you need some other answer, you need to ask some other question.

If you need a specific answer, you need a specific question.

4 Likes

All the new questions are in the first post, plus a few posts later, the additional question, is there a time limit on responding to the invitation?

Furthermore, the original question was not just, “can we specify a future time window.” I also asked what happens if we ask to defer? That was not answered.

Well, I wouldnt expect Support personnel to read through a conversation and pick up on additional questions raised through a thread. They’re probably looking at post #1 and responding strictly to that, unless they need to engage further, asking more info from the poster, etc.

I’d argue that she did answer “What happens if we ask to defer?”

She answered in the context of a question that was not specific to any certain situation that someone might defer. So, by default the only reason someone would defer is to wait for their air filter or final software.

If someone needs to know the process of what happens because they’re traveling for work for a month, and can they request a new 6 week window once they return home, then that is the question they need to ask.

2 Likes

I followed up on the support email, too, with these new questions. I expect a response soon. I’ll be sure to post any response for those in support of this inquiry.

1 Like

We ask that you reply to your email within 30 days to let us know what you prefer. We won’t start shipping until you reply.

If you notify us that you’re not ready right now or would prefer to delay, we will get in touch before October 31 / November 30 (depending on your order date) to ask again if you’re ready for delivery.

At present, we don’t have a tracking system for you to contact us and “resume shipment”. If we do develop such a system, we’ll email everyone who’s deferred their delivery with instructions.

9 Likes