What is happening with engrave?

File was created in Silhouette Studio. Each action is a different color & made a compound path. Saved as SVG. I bring it into GF App and everything is correctly separated. When I toggle the engrave layer to engrave it want to engrave the entire space of the selection, no detail. I know this happened to me before, but I can’t remember what I did to fix it. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Enclosed shapes will engrave solid. If you only want the outline, leave it as a score, or rasterize.

2 Likes

I have the score design as a separate color. That is showing up fine. It is the engraved design that I am having problems with. But, maybe I have some open nodes in the design from editing. I finished late last night after a few drinks…so…

Don’t know why it worked this way but here is how I fixed it. The 2 filled borders were created using external offsets and saved as compound paths, which is normally fine for Cameo or Curio projects. What I had to do was separate the compound paths and then fill each with different colors. -making the smaller of the two the front layer. Then I used the ‘subtract’ function and saved the result as a compound path. Repeated it for the other border and voila!

1 Like

One that always gets me, is that the white parts are actually white filled. I find if a good diagnostic is to move a dark colored square behind the artwork and make sure the lines are not filled. That is frequent with traced shapes in AI.

4 Likes

Yes that behavior is so irritating!
If one opens the image trace panel and expands the advanced section there’s a checkbox labeled “ignore white” that I wish could be on by default.

3 Likes

The alternative is to simply click on a white fill and select others with same stroke and fill under the select menu. Then press the delete key.

3 Likes

True - more clicks though and occasionally you get a white spot that didn’t cut a hole behind it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.