What is the best way to clean out the metal slats next to the exhaust fan?

I just replaced my carriage plate fan and cleaned out the exhaust fan and I’m all of sudden getting overheated during 20 min prints. It ends up finishing if I run a fan on the right side but is stopping every time I print something now. Wondering if I need to clean the metal plate thing with all the slots next to the exhaust fan? It is pretty dirty. If so, how would one do this without removing it?

I presume you referring to the cooler adjacent to the exhaust fan in the pro model. Not going to be easy, but I would try it with a q-tip. Just slide it through the fins, and that should get most of it. If the residue is stubborn, you may need to use a solvent, I recommend household ammonia full strength.

1 Like

Awesome thank you!!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

If you have one, a stiff-bristled straw cleaning brush might work as well.

4 Likes

Works great if you can use it but for many folks it locks up their lungs to get a whiff of it. I use hand sanitizer as it is thick, and a good solvent for the wood crud. In addition just near by is the card where all the computer magic goes on that contains the magic smoke. If any liquid reaches the card it will release all the magic smoke and your Glowforge will no longer work at all.

I have found that the melamine sponges will hold on to the hand sanitizer, and strongly abrade the surface without spilling the liquid if not too soaked.
They will cut to the size needed with a sharp knife and needle nosed pliers or tweezers gets them around very well.

2 Likes

I think dry with a stiff brush like I suggested might be a better option than any kind of liquid…

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, but I have found residual ‘gum’ from wood materials that won’t brush off like the ‘ash’ from accumulated smoke. The deposit on the exhaust fan blades is an example.

1 Like

Good point. I only every cleaned mine once, and I am pretty sure I used Simple Green on folded paper towel between the fins. I did it while I was removing the broken exhaust fan, which is a PIA as most who have done it would agree.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.