What is the process for getting snap marks back?

There has been no plan revealed as to if Snapmark will ever have a production release or if it will simply vanish. As such, I’ve chosen not to use them at all. I don’t want to get addicted only to have to go through withdrawal. Once they announce it’s really coming, I’ll give them a try. And I certainly look forward to that day! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, we’ll get something for the Passthrough at least that should be similar, so I’m not worried. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You might be the only one. Snapmarks work fine for me but the very, very, very long passage of time for a passthru feature or release of something similar to Snapmarks should be high on the exasperation meter for others. I expect the spin from the company but…

7 Likes

Yep, it’s taken longer than most folks expected. It’s taking longer than I expected. But yeah, I still believe it’s coming. (No spin, and no inside information.) :smile:

I’m just a staunch little creature of faith. :innocent:

5 Likes

:grin:

6 Likes

As a tinkerer, I use them when it seems like the easiest way to do a job… but if I was using my machine for a business, I would absolutely be conservative, and not become dependent on them.

I think a lot of users do not realize how uncertain the future of the feature is, and I am worried about what will happen in the community if it gets yanked.

6 Likes

I’ve actually never seen any specifics given by GF staff as to what the parameters are that determine which machines get them. There’s been a lot of speculation in various forums, but to my knowledge, no official word.

5 Likes

I’ve had them, and lost them. They’re very handy, but definitely not crucial. I look forward to getting them back, but in the meantime, I can still accomplish all the things I want to do.

6 Likes

I am afraid I will be like this poor fellow, skeletonized, before we get the defining feature of the Pro model…

2 Likes

Awwww! That was just mean! (That is not a cute hedgie pic!) :smile:

1 Like

I agree…if it turns out that we can’t all have Snapmarks and they pull the ones that are out there, I think people are going to be coming in here with torches and pickaxes or whatever. If we think it’s bad now…just imagine. Many people have not done any reading at all to know that they are not promised or guaranteed.

2 Likes

No, but super-accurate pass-through (and even very accurate standard) placement was promised. Right now this is the only automated way they’ve delivered any accuracy. I’m hopeful they’ll crack the problem without too much further delay but I’m not holding my breath - stuff seems to come out at glacial speed sometimes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This! Snapmarks may or may not work out. They work well for me. I’m not big on public complaining but also not a fan of spinning the facts. Saying that the company has not promised the Snapmarks feature, and at the same time ignoring the fact that important similar features have been long promised but not delivered makes no sense to me. It’s kind of like telling a car buyer who paid for “autopilot” mode that you should be OK with not getting it for years since there is manual driving mode. Some day a future buyer will get the feature you also paid for, and yours will be retrofitted if it still runs. Lets face it, none of us actually know if any of the missing features are progressing. We can hope, but none of us know.

4 Likes

This has been an interesting thread, but the one thing missing is an official response from Glowforge, @dan. I remember talking to Dan at the NY Maker fair 2 years ago. I made a long sign with engrave and a large living hing using a 5 foot piece of plywood with my pass through. It worked, but the alinement was off. I told him I planed to remake the sign when the promised feature to “fine the place it left off and aline the continuing print” was added. At the time he said that was coming soon. This is a really important feature. I spent the extra money for the pass through because of the advertised ease of use. When I got snap marks I was finally able to use the pass through with ease. It was not my fault that my pro had to be replaced and I would really like to have that ease of use back again. I still would like to hear the plan for that. I love my Pro! I I understand it takes a while to get things perfect. BUT it was working for me and now it is not. So again I would like to know how long the wait might be until I can again use the Pro for the projects I bought it for.

1 Like

Snapmarks were developed as a part of the passthrough software - they aren’t the passthrough software, even if people are using them to aid in that.

1 Like

I know they have yet to give us the pass through software. But I would still like to hear the plan for when we will.

Real Soon Now

3 Likes

That’s like “a few minutes” in airline delay announcements :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Jules and all for the discussion and information. Unfortunately, I don’t have information beyond what’s here: (Introducing Snapmark (September 2018)). There are a lot of factors that go into setting up testers with this experimental feature. The engineering team is determining each step of the rollout. If we do make it available to everyone, or if your machine is chosen for the rollout during the testing phase, you’ll see the Snapmark icon appear in your Workspace. In the mean time, keep an eye on the community for more information.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.