What is the value of magic fingers?

That part is easy. Three pieces of white foamcore, and you have a photo backdrop. Indeed that is what I have been doing. Add those LED flashlights with the hooks and you have your lighting that is all good and done.

The issue is to find a nice “Martha Stewart” type house to display them so folk who at least aspire to such a house can imagine it in their house. if Martha Stewart would go into the houses of anyone I know locally (or mine) she would run away screaming, and never be seen again. So the need is to find or fake such a place without renting a movie studio.

1 Like

It’s not a bullseye but I have to think the right service is out there.

3 Likes

My favorite vibrating bed scene is from Planes, Trains & Automobiles at 01:00

3 Likes

This implies that you have a list.

I’m curious what you think the worst such scene is. :wink:

4 Likes

Old-school Martha Stewart is not where we are. You’re overthinking and over complicating this. If you search Pinterest or Instagram, you’ll find that clean, simple displays are very popular. People use scrapbook paper, wood/faux wood for backdrops, etc. If you were making hope chests or something large, you’d want a big scene. For what you’re making, you just need good lighting and maybe a small prop or two. And many people use digital mockups for product displays.

3 pieces of foamcore isn’t going to do it, but you don’t need to redecorate either. Take your inspiration from social media… it’s driving the aesthetic right now.

Also… Small (9 inches) Light Box

1 Like

Something else to note here, is that while it may take some time to set up artwork for laser work, something like the box above is more commodity than it is craft, because it’s obviously machine-made. It would be a different story, and worth more, with a hand-carved pattern or hand-cut panels and finger joints.

Either way, craft items are hard to sell and get their value. They have to appeal to the emotional state of craft shoppers, because craft shoppers are not in a logical “I need XXX item.” sort of mentality. They’re in a “I’m willing to buy something but I dont know what I want until I see it, and if I don’t see it I will just pass.” state of mind.

So, you’re selling a box. It’s a nice box. But it’s a closed box. What’s IN the box? What is the box for? It could be anything, right? But the masses are not imaginative. You have to present to them the idea of how they can use it. It could be a Jack-In-The-Box box. It could be a jewelry box. It could be a tissue box cover box. It could be a dog treat box. It could be a candy box. You don’t have to actually make it into any of those things, you can simply present it as such to make their hearts race.

Speaking of presentation, there are other details of the box that need to be displayed. What’s the inside look like? Is it also finished wood? Felt lined? Is the inside of the top engraved as well? Do the box lid and top ledge have mating surfaces that lock the lid in place? Is there anything on the bottom of the box? Raw or finished wood? Felt or rubber feet to keep from marring shelf/table surfaces?

These are rhetorical questions but online shoppers can’t touch-n-feel so you have to present as much info as possible. I work in a hardware store, I love hardware, I know it inside and out… but you would not believe how many people will stand there with a bolt in their hand. Touch it, rotate it, stare, Hmmm-n-Haww over it. Trying to decide if it’s the perfect bolt. It is INSANE. Humans are completely looney.

8 Likes

No!

There are more examples of why you never ask what’s in the box from SNL, that I won’t post.
Feel free to explore at your own risk.

2 Likes

LOL my mattress has that feature(not nearly as teeth rattling as the motel versions in the 60s). I think the only time I use it now is to confuse the pup when she’s snoozing under the comforter all alone.

2 Likes

I used to have an alarm that vibrated the bed. The thing that actually woke me up each morning though was the dog’s indignant reaction. How dare their bed do this to them!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.