What materials are you gathering to get ready for your Glowforge?

I have also been a little slow to fill the house with cutable items. Both from the standpoint of not alot of room and not alot of money this time of year. That being said I have wooden boxes plaques of all sizes boards reclaimed from our barn and 120 yr old farm house, I have bags and bags of deer hides from the hubbby and boys hunting over the years. I have shell veneers, vinyl, papers and fiberboard,and some acrylic. Guess I do have stuff already!

11 Likes

Just don’t use the vinyl in your Glowforge–PVC is a no-no! But you probably already knew that.

2 Likes

We broke a record on Thursday (was 85 degrees - new high for 2/9 :sunglasses:) Gotta love Tucson

3 Likes

The last couple of inches were insulting - once a snowstorm stops it should stay stopped.

6 Likes

I’ve got a ton of cardboard stored under one of the beds just waiting to be played with, a lot of veneer, a big stack of 12x12 1/4" sheets of baltic birch, a bunch of basswood, walnut, MDF, cork, acrylic, felt, different heavy paper stocks, and a bunch of domestic & exotic cutoffs that I got from Rockler as grab-boxes. I’ve also got some sheets of aluminum that I’m dying to put to play with Cermark.

2 Likes

An older thread, but it chronicles all the materials I had stockpiled the first year of waiting for the GF. I have continued to gather, but at a much slower rate since then. Only so much room to store materials.

1 Like

I think he said a really GOOD set of calipers: https://smile.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-196-30-Advanced-Measuring-Resolution/dp/B00WMKUUAQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1487019678&sr=1-1&keywords=mitutoyo+caliper+6+inch

If you need precision measurements often, they are worth it.

3 Likes

Dang girl…I think you are definitly prepared…

2 Likes

Could be better. :wink: (Lots of those things are also used in the 3D printing arena, so they were on hand.)

3 Likes

I would expect nothing less after what I saw she posted many moons ago:

You gotta click the link to really appreciate it…

10 Likes

Ah yes, my toy…it’s just about the only thing that’s organized around here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

but have you ever actually had to use it? If yes, please share the story!

2 Likes

Yep! I use the ionic silver generator every month or so. Comes in handy for so many things. :relaxed:

:musical_score::musical_note::notes: I’m so blue…:notes:

(Kidding…I don’t drink it. I do stave off infection with it. Better than neosporin, and you can use it in delicate areas safely. No sting.)

3 Likes

Over this past weekend I was helping my dad find materials for his 1914 International Harvester Autowagon. Really bad video taken by the engine mechanic.

We stopped into a woodworking tool and supply company in Indianapolis. I was able to pick up a couple pounds of exotic thin cut wood for less than $8 that will be great for the Glowforge. Sorry, I don’t have any pictures, but the purple heart is absolutely gorgeous as well as other wood.

5 Likes

Won’t the crying mess up your vision though?

2 Likes

Wait…is it possible you have never heard of Onion Goggles? They are the most comfortable eye protection around, they don’t fog up like regular “around the eye” goggles, they completely enclose the eye with a soft foam, and you use them when you are cutting onions…no more tears.

Plus they come in fashionable colors…

:smiley:

9 Likes

Woooooow, I know someone who will love them :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Stylin’. Made for ‘The Green Lantern’!

4 Likes

I’ve got a pair of these for the study, and a pink pair for the kitchen. (Definitely prefer the green and black, but they weren’t offered when i got my first pair.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How often do you prepare onions in the Study? (as opposed to the Kitchen?) :thinking: :joy: :grinning:

4 Likes