What to put the Glowforge on?

Hey caribis2
Sounds like your up in Alaska or some other northerly location if your international, my wife lived in Chicago Illinois at one point in her life and she described the place as having two seasons “winter” and "road repair"
Thanks for the information about your system, it meshes with what I have read. I planned a system that isolates the plant from the water… it allows the use of dirt, inert ceramic or nothing its in between the floating types and the ebb and flow method. I started the design looking at it from the point of harvest not the fish or the plants. It does makes for a unique perspective and approach for the design. I am hoping to start this winter so I can work out bugs going into spring.
Again thank for the information.
-D

2 Likes

I only have 2 locking casters. But I did not even lock them.

It’s sitting on foam mats (like the play mats for kids). It’s not moving at all unless I push it hard.

2 Likes

Fits perfectly on this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99128943/#/S49128945

pahl-desk-white__0385153_PE558635_S4

Really solid too and the height is adjustable.

2 Likes

Not that warm here. More like 5-6 hours northwest of Chicago. Good luck.

That looks like it could fit the ticket. I like the lower height, the price (right now on sale for 49.99) and there is an IKEA on my way back from watching the eclipse…

3 Likes

Oooooh and it’s available in white & pink, too! Bonus points! :smile:

2 Likes

Just put it together in less than 15 minutes. (and if I can do it in 15, then you can do it in 5.) It is a PERFECT fit. It looks like it was made for Glowforge.

Thanks!!!

4 Likes

Visited my local IKEA looking at these. They look great on the website to me but I think the color accent legs were assembled upside down local to me and they look like cheap children’s desks as a result so I got vetoed on it.

I got the no accent legs. The glowforge completely covers the top, so it just looks like legs on the glowforge.

4 Likes

It definitely looks like it was made for the Glowforge. Perfect size and the white color does make it look like is floating.

While waiting, we did pick out our new furniture though.

IKEA - FTW

GERTON - Table top, I like that it is wood, so I will be able to stain it a darker color later on.
KRILLE - Legs with locking casters. I like that the table top is wide and the wheels make moving from area to area easily.

This is the UPS we decided on from Amazon:

Tripp Lite 1500VA UPS Back Up, AVR, LCD Display, 10 Outlets,

120V 900W, Tel & Coax Protection, USB

Is this going to be enough or overkill, lol

We are just waiting for the e mail confirmation so as to pull the trigger , those items are regularly in stock so it will take no time to pick them up local

To me the KRILLE legs don’t seem like they would give enough stiffness and you may get side-to-side motion during engraves. Just speculation on my part since I don’t have a laser yet :slight_smile:

I thought the same thing - plus they are pricey for some Ikea pin pegs.

I think I’m going to go with a rolling tool chest - casters, storage drawers, sturdy…win-win-win.

You know, I have to see them in person…I am hoping they are not as slight as they might seem and have some durability to them. But ultimately, we are going to walk into the store and look at the legs to be sure…we were thinking if we did not like these, we might get the height adjustable ones and keep them low. We definitely don’t want the table rocking :confused:

This is going to be in an apt at this time, in this case, something a little more industrial would be a bit much :frowning:

Thanks for making me reconsider this. I LOVE that top, but I need to REALLY consider the legs.

I am going to re-search this option again.

Well crap. They ran out of the long one, so I bought the short one. Pretty sure it’s only 19” deep now that I got it home. I may have made a horrible error.

1 Like