What you do for a living?

Welcome @chrgeup to the forum. You and @rpegg should get along fine.

1 Like

Welcome and thanks for the insight into your life outside of the forums. Sounds like you have a wide range of hobbies and I look forward to hearing more about them.

1 Like

This is a great gathering of talent and inspiration, and it continues to grow.
Welcome, thanks for sharing!

My sonā€™s math teacher does a lot of laser cutting with the class (way cooler to get high school students to ā€œplotā€ complex functions by generating physical geometry than just drawings on paper)

6 Likes

@henryhbk, thatā€™s fantstic. Iā€™d like to do some of that, too. Is there a way I could get in touch with him?

I just PMā€™ed you

I play with invisible money during the dayā€¦ (An accountant is someone who solves a problem you didnā€™t know you had in a way you donā€™t understand) My friend teaches Grade 3s and she invited me to ā€œCareer Dayā€ - letā€™s just say no kid wanted my job

In my spare time I play with flour and sugar! I own a Bakery/High Tea Shop with 2 friends and we make over the top cakes! Some of our work can be seen at www.enchantedcakestudio.com and www.instagram.com/ecscakeandtea
Our 2 craziest orders have been: A cake for the ultra popular K-Pop Boy Band B.A.P and 3000 cake in a jar for the Mercedes Convention in Whistler, Canada.

12 Likes

You should edit your post so any forgers in your area know to stop in and patronize your shop or any visiting ones.

Your cakes look like eating them would be destruction of art.

4 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s a definite cycle-of-progress thing for me, because my favorite engineering prof used to talk about the days when he was a student and the only way to integrate really ugly functions was to plot them on some kind of solid material, cut out region under the curve and then weigh itā€¦

1 Like

Wow. Amazing cakes. Wonderful detail!

1 Like

Brilliant Idea! Wheels are turning in my head! Iā€™ll do up something cool and post it here! Thanks for the suggestion!

My nephew whoā€™s a senior in high school just came down from Idaho to interview at Harvey Mudd. I sure hope he gets in, that would be so exciting.

My nephew thinks you work at an awesome school!!!

1 Like

As both an employee and an alumnus (class of 2001) Iā€™d have to agree. :slight_smile:

thank you @rebecca i really enjoy some odd stuff but put a lot of time and care and heart (sometimes literally haha) into my work.

2 Likes

Hang in there, you will see the final year approach quickly. I did 31 years in public schools. Why are you looking at 40 yrs to retire? Is it to max-out your benefits?

2 Likes

Hi @pb2u2 ,

31 years, awesome! Have you ever tried to count up how many students you have worked with over the years in your classes? I am getting near 10,000 now. It simply blows my mind.

My first several years were spent teaching in Illinois, Japan, and Maine. I need 32 years teaching in California to max-out my retirement. Itā€™s a good thing I have a great jobā€¦

Thanks for asking. And, I hope you are enjoying retirement.

7 Likes

I am an enterprise architect for one of the largest online apparel retailers in the world. I work on behalf of the executives to ensure our technology road maps are in line with the core business initiatives, and advance business & technical process governance, design, and research. I really love my job because I get to create solutions for big problems. :slight_smile:

In my ā€œspare timeā€, I am the co-founder of a startup that create SaaS products for developers to improve the software development process. This job usually starts after 8:30pm for me, after the munchkins go to bed. :slight_smile:

The best job I have overall though, is being the father of two beautiful girls who mean more than everything to me.

I canā€™t get out of this without mentioning my amazing wife, who puts up with all of my shenanigans. I couldnā€™t do anything without her, she keeps me grounded and focused, and her love knows no bounds. Did I mention shes amazing? :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

Temporarily OOL! (Out oā€™ Likes) :+1:

6 Likes

Iā€™m a type designer, which means I draw letters on paper, scan them, and then nudge BĆ©zier curves all day long. I specialize in non-Latin scripts (those writing systems that donā€™t look like English!) and especially the Arabic script.

One of my hobbies since getting my MFA is bookbinding, especially Japanese stab binding. I like to push the limits of that style to see how far I can take it. I post tutorials on my art blog sometimes! beccamakingfaces.com

I used to make stained glass mosaics for fun too, but now Iā€™m half a world away from my tools. :disappointed:

18 Likes

That is pretty cool, you ought to post some pics of your scripts. Love to see them! (And your Japanese Stab Bindings are gorgeous on your blog!)

(So how do you feel about Comic Sans?..just kidding, donā€™t kill me!):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes