What's your favorite way of sealing wood?

For small projects, I find it hard to beat a satin lacquer. You can apply a few coats in a 30 min period and it doesn’t have much sheen, so it looks more natural. That will help keep moisture out. Also, shellac is a good option for painting multiple coats and having them dry quickly.

1 Like

I’ve used a bit of everything but I really like the look of paste wax. It gives the wood a hand-rubbed appearance. I also use danish oil quite often if I want something that penetrates.

1 Like

That’s something I hadn’t considered! The result is a pretty glossy finish eh?

Good old shellac AKA bug poop works well LOL

4 Likes

Wait. Shellac is bug poo?

1 Like

Although a lot of times I’ll use clear acrylic because it dries faster and I’m impatient LOL

1 Like

Not really that shiny, at least in my experience. It’s quite a quick process too. It’s not going to be as hard and protective as a polyurethane but I’ve used it for coffee tables and other furniture with very good long-term results.

1 Like

Almost, but not quite… It’s a resin secreted by female Lac bugs. It’s currently my go-to sealant for most jobs.

5 Likes

Oh great, now I’m thinking of M&Ms again. :persevere:

4 Likes

Mmm… Ground up cochineals coated with lac bug wax! Plain or with peanuts.

5 Likes

This is a repeat of many other threads on the forum, search for it, it’s out there… but a number of replies here are much exactly what was discussed there too.

1 Like

I somehow misread the title as What’s your favourite way of stealing wood… :expressionless:

7 Likes

I like Minwax Polycrylic, a water based quick dry satin. Looks milky in the can, but dries crystal clear.

6 Likes

If it’s a reasonably small’ish piece and I want a durable shiny finish, I use CA glue.

Flood the piece, wait for it to set, then use the micromesh pads to polish it up. Works remarkably well.

3 Likes

Nice trick. I tried that once and got tons of bubbles in the glue, I guess I went too thick?

1 Like

Use thin CA – I use a “water thin” kind from Starbond; EM-02. Bubbles are nearly impossible with glue this thin.

Naturally, the down side is that the damn stuff wants to go everywhere, so I do this on a silicone mat and use polyethylene gloves.

But really, CA polish looks just great when it’s done, and the micromesh pads work quickly. I picked up the trick from pen turners, who apparently have been using CA this way for a number of years.

3 Likes

Good old shellac AKA bug poop works well LOL

Wait. Shellac is bug poo?

I have been putting bug poop on my nails???!!! :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

So says our fearless leader @dan :joy:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Bug Poop or Bug Vomit… oh man…

4 Likes