What's your favorite way of sealing wood?

I’m realizing that I’ll need to seal all my wood (non proograde) pieces to prevent moisture expansion and warping. What’s your favorite product and method for doing this?

(I’m looking for a natural looking solution, but wanna hear all your favorite methods and products)

2 Likes

I tend to use miniwax its the cheap stuff at the hardware store. I used the waterbase (quick drying) and the other. The quick drying did a good job on a few tables I made for inside.

1 Like

For small projects, I find it hard to beat a satin lacquer. You can apply a few coats in a 30 min period and it doesn’t have much sheen, so it looks more natural. That will help keep moisture out. Also, shellac is a good option for painting multiple coats and having them dry quickly.

1 Like

I’ve used a bit of everything but I really like the look of paste wax. It gives the wood a hand-rubbed appearance. I also use danish oil quite often if I want something that penetrates.

1 Like

That’s something I hadn’t considered! The result is a pretty glossy finish eh?

Good old shellac AKA bug poop works well LOL

4 Likes

Wait. Shellac is bug poo?

1 Like

Although a lot of times I’ll use clear acrylic because it dries faster and I’m impatient LOL

1 Like

Not really that shiny, at least in my experience. It’s quite a quick process too. It’s not going to be as hard and protective as a polyurethane but I’ve used it for coffee tables and other furniture with very good long-term results.

1 Like

Almost, but not quite… It’s a resin secreted by female Lac bugs. It’s currently my go-to sealant for most jobs.

5 Likes

Oh great, now I’m thinking of M&Ms again. :persevere:

4 Likes

Mmm… Ground up cochineals coated with lac bug wax! Plain or with peanuts.

5 Likes

This is a repeat of many other threads on the forum, search for it, it’s out there… but a number of replies here are much exactly what was discussed there too.

1 Like

I somehow misread the title as What’s your favourite way of stealing wood… :expressionless:

7 Likes

I like Minwax Polycrylic, a water based quick dry satin. Looks milky in the can, but dries crystal clear.

6 Likes

If it’s a reasonably small’ish piece and I want a durable shiny finish, I use CA glue.

Flood the piece, wait for it to set, then use the micromesh pads to polish it up. Works remarkably well.

3 Likes

Nice trick. I tried that once and got tons of bubbles in the glue, I guess I went too thick?

1 Like

Use thin CA – I use a “water thin” kind from Starbond; EM-02. Bubbles are nearly impossible with glue this thin.

Naturally, the down side is that the damn stuff wants to go everywhere, so I do this on a silicone mat and use polyethylene gloves.

But really, CA polish looks just great when it’s done, and the micromesh pads work quickly. I picked up the trick from pen turners, who apparently have been using CA this way for a number of years.

3 Likes

Good old shellac AKA bug poop works well LOL

Wait. Shellac is bug poo?

I have been putting bug poop on my nails???!!! :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

So says our fearless leader @dan :joy:

3 Likes