When Do I Know If I Need A New Laser Tube

I don’t think shelf life counts. I think only usage does. Could be wrong though.

3 Likes

Definitely does.

And it’s better to use it, than not use it.

Though, the estimates are largely a crapshoot.

2 Likes

Found this. Seems reasonable…
https://www.americanlaserco.com/laser-cutting-handbook/2017/1/26/laser-tube-lifespan

It does but not nearly as much as use by large margin.

Even the two years of usage is a wild guess. It’s one of those generally accepted metrics in the CO2 laser world. But the reality is it can also be 10 years of active use.

4 Likes

I use my machine commercially about 8-12 hours a day on average at least 5 days a week, sometimes 7 days. Chances are, I will be needing a new laser tube soon for my older unit. I wish there were a clear cut online resource about tube replacement. Seems, from what I can sort out through the forums, that I will need to ship it and have GF replace the tube for me. Who do I contact about that? How do I arrange such a service? Can I have them do a diagnostic and cleaning on the other parts of the machine while it is there? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 Likes

Someone from Glowforge will have to respond about it.
They said at one point that they would be willing to sell the laser tube if people want to replace it themselves. This was the last official statement I remember about this.

It’s in the FAQ on the Glowforge website:

Do you have to replace the laser tube?

The Glowforge tube is custom made - it’s 850mm and has improvements for longer lifetime and smaller spot size. It’s rated for 2 years, and the tube is covered under the warranty. Out of warranty, we’ll replace it and realign it for you for $499, including roundtrip shipping within the US. We’ll also have a replacement tube parts package available for purchase. Note that these are sold as spare parts only; the replacement tube parts package does not come with instructions.

3 Likes

Not at an expert, I thought that usage made little difference but shelf life does? Maybe someone who knows more than me can correct me if I’m wrong.

I was under the impression that usage was the main factor in the life of a tube and type of use, cuts using it up faster than engraving, affected the life as well.

1 Like

Too bad they don’t give a tube only price.

1 Like

You can drastically reduce the life of the tube by over driving it. Glowforge does not allow us to overdrive the tube, so the amount of use shouldn’t be a big factor in it’s usage life. Usage of the laser does not consume the gas in the tube.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the bigger issue is that the the laser tube is not a perfect seal. Overtime, the gas in the tube leaks out, slowly degrading the performance of the laser. My guess is the helium is probably escaping first. That small little bugger is hard to keep still.

4 Likes

Seems to be typical of humans too, that as we age, we leak more gas.:wink:

Yes, some type of diagnostic would be good at this point. Good question.

5 Likes

Proofgrade settings are probably a good leading indicator, assuming all of the optics are in good shape.

2 Likes

Sent ours in that had a broken (glass breakage) tube. $500 including shipping. You might get a refurb unit back like we did. But they did ask if we wanted to wait 4 weeks or just send a refurb. We have 3 and that one did not have snapmarks so we opted for the refub in hopes of a crap shoot that the refurb had it. Well… it did not but neither did the one we sent in and did not have to wait 4 weeks. No harm no foul! Customer service did an adequate job of communication and service. Nothing stellar but not like the service we have had in the past or as bad as some others have had. Kudos to GFCS!

6 Likes

Aloha,

For units in warranty, we would repair or replace your Glowforge if it was not cutting through Proofgrade material using the default settings (assuming all the optics are clean, and the logs didn’t indicate some other issue).

Out of warranty, we’ll replace your tube and realign it for you for $499, including roundtrip shipping within the US.

2 Likes

I live in Hawaii. What is the turn around time for a service like that roughly?

1 Like

So, over 2 years ago we got this…

It’s fair to say that some people with early units (like mine) may need to have their tubes replaced soon. What’s the status of this?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m actually concerned with the packaging, as well. It seems like GF has updated the packaging considerably since I got mine. What happens if I ship it in for a replacement tube and realignment only for it to break in shipment because the packaging is not sufficient?

4 Likes

The $499 price includes the least expensive FedEx shipping option, but if you’re interested, we could work with you to upgrade the shipping to a faster option.

We aim to get it repaired and back out the door within 2 weeks, not including shipping time.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any additional questions, go ahead and post a new topic.

2 Likes