When Life Give You Lemons

Or in this case a metric ton of cardboard (from a recent desk purchase):

Make Geodesic Domes for the cats.

I followed the recipe here with a few modes for laser (cut cardboard with an exacto? I am not a neanderthal.)

I also made myself a few clips to hold the pieces together while the glue sets.

It’s just a one inch plexi circle with a slot slightly less than the thickness of two pieces of cardboard. They really made construction so much easier.

I used Tightbond wood glue, which had a surprisingly fast set time with cardboard. It was about 2 minutes and done. After that, you have to cut the pieces apart.

Instead of putting letter A or B on my pieces, I put fake screw heads in each corner, with an extra one for each of my A sides:

These are my version of the two types of triangles AAA:
AAA

And AAB:
ABB

The red lines are a heavy score (basically cutting one side so you can fold), the black line is a cut and the green lines are a light score so you can tell the sides apart. Use the instructions on the instructables link.

I thought I might have to put risers on it for my one large cat, but he made it in just fine.

I may add a floor at some point for stability, but right now it’s occupied. :slight_smile:

62 Likes

My cat is telling me he needs one…MEOW. Okay… terrible joke. Going back to bed now…

20 Likes

ok, i’m saving my big cardboard for more sheet mulching in my yard, but now i want to steal some of that and make domes for the shelter cats. or a shrunken version for shelter bunnies/guineas.

13 Likes

I love it…adding to my projects :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I needed a good project-gift for my girlfriend’s birthday… I think this might just be it.

9 Likes

Hmmm, what can I buy that comes with a lot of cardboard so I can make one of these? :wink:

6 Likes

Just wander around the local Ikea, Something large and flat, that some assembly is required, will say buy me.

10 Likes

OMG. This is the perfect for cats - it IS the box it came in!!!

13 Likes

Lucky cat! I love those gluing jigs—great idea. And thanks for the design.

5 Likes

I love this, but I am laughing because it’s like the very definition of over engineering. Everyone knows that you could just fold that carboard into a V, flip it over, and your cat would be perfectly happy. Not nearly as cute or fun, but the bar for cat lodgings is very, very low.

11 Likes

So very true. The cats and I are trying to establish some kind of compromise between keeping every box that comes to the house (their preference) and not wanting to feel like I am living in an Amazon warehouse (my preference).

This seemed a good middle ground… at least until the house starts looking like Moon Base Alpha.

12 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

I love bad puns! You made my day.

@shogun What a timely share; I’m breaking down some boxes, I think I’ll save enough for this project. Thanks for all the construction tips.

7 Likes

That’s so cool! A great repurposing of the cardboard and scraps (?) for the clamps. That was inspired.

4 Likes

Thanks so much. I keep telling my son I will make his cats a home one day with my GF. I designed a stacked dome one but never did cut it. This looks much better.

6 Likes

Ha! That made me laugh. :joy:

Very cool!! Love this!

3 Likes

This is fabulous, and that is a major seal of approval right there!

3 Likes

I love the simplicity of this design. So cool with the clips. This has so much potential.

5 Likes

The clips are kind of cool to me because it’s the kind of thing I wouldn’t bother with if I didn’t have a laser. I would probably just clamp things with whatever small shop clamps I had, or hold it until the glue sets up. Being able to cut a helpful solution out of scrap in under 2 minutes leads to some very cool practical cuts.

7 Likes

Also discovered, that with a little screen design, an almost full sphere makes a nice hanging lampshade:

21 Likes